1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cheering yourself up?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon8315, Aug 26, 2012.

1. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I'm normally (or I used to be [​IMG]) quite a happy, cheery sort of person but for the last few weeks, months even to be honest I haven't been. There are various reasons for this but I just want to stop feeling so rubbish and like every day is a bit of a trial!
    Any ideas for how to cheer yourself up? [​IMG] (Preferably cheap ones lol) x

2. anon8315

I'm normally (or I used to be [​IMG]) quite a happy, cheery sort of person but for the last few weeks, months even to be honest I haven't been. There are various reasons for this but I just want to stop feeling so rubbish and like every day is a bit of a trial!
    Any ideas for how to cheer yourself up? [​IMG] (Preferably cheap ones lol) x

3. I tend to play my favourite music, very loud. Or read a book. Or watch back episodes of Dr. Who.
    It improves things for a while.
    Sorry, I'm a bit rubbish at this.

4. I keep myself busy until my mood is over.
    However, it sounds like more than just a mood for you - is there anything you can do to sort out whatever it is that is making you unhappy?

5. anon8315

Not really CQ [​IMG] It's not a situation I created either, not sure if that makes it easier or harder, if you follow me. I've been trying to keep busy, but I am finding it hard to stay motivated and a lot of stuff I'd normally enjoy doing, I either feel unable to do or don't seem to enjoy as much or at all - not sure why.
    Sorry for violin playing lolx

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

If anyone has a magic solution, I need it too!
    I try to keep busy - but this time I can't!

7. Going for a walk outside for about an hour (preferably with dog) always lifts me up when I'm a bit down. Blows the cobwebs away a bit.
    Sorry you aren't feeling so great badger_girl. If it's any help, I think you are one of the nicest people on here and you deserve to be happy. I'm sure things will get a little better for you soon.
    x

8. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Badger, please don't think I'm being frivilous (sp?) but have you looked at Entertainment?
    I'm having a really sh1t time ATM and Entertainment is helping to keep my mind off this as well as making me laugh. The only thing I would warn you about is you can get hooked.

9. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Perhaps you are shedding an old skin, and moving into another one BadgerGirl?

10. I've been feeling a little blue for a while now too. Nothing major. I just feel a little like life has lost its sparkle, and even when I go places I love etc I still feel like there's a little cloud hovering. I think in my case, it is just that I am growing up! The pressures of general adult life are baring down, and I wish I could go back to being a carefree student - or better still a carefree child!
    Unfortunately one of the things that cheers me up is food - going out for meals or having a take-away...which involves money and weight gain, two of the things that make me feel blue!

11. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

The cloud of conformity perhaps?

12. anon8315

I can identify with that - I think for me it's even more base, as I find myself mindlessly eating stuff like biscuits or crisps.
    I think for me it's feeling like I don't belong anywhere and don't really have a place in society which is a depressing thought! I think that's why I've found the holidays so hard, at least at work I know what my role is but when I'm not at work I just don't have one?
    Thank you manashee - same to you x

13. Personally I love curling up on the sofa with my snuggly blanket, lights down, volume up with a bit of one my fav films ~ Pirates (Cpn Jack Sparrow, mmmm), Harry Potter, whatever takes your fancy really. Cuppa hot choccy (Sainsbury's light one is lovely and frothy, smooth creamy taste when made with a drop of milk and rest water, and bonus of being about £1.50 for a whole jar and about 50-60 calories a cup, mmmmmmm).
    Get engrossed in a good book?
    Any nice places to go for a walk? Maybe take a friend even? I love walking through the fields outside my house and along the river.
    Painting my finger and toenails often makes me feel nice too, taking the time to give yourself a manicure and pedicure, costs all of a couple of pounds for a new nail varnish, or use one you already have and love. Grab a nail file buffer block, relaxing music etc. An hour or so of peace and relaxation???

14. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Surely what most people want is family and/or friends. Is that what you mean?

15. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

It's an interesting question. My life has been full of ups and downs, yet my attidude to it has largely remained the same.
    There was a time I earned some serious money, but as quick as I earned it it vaporised on God knows what. Certainly not that much I have to show for it these days. My sweetheart was the best dressed woman in town and had her hair done several times a week at £150 a shot, but al this **** seemed pointless to me.
    My main interest at that time was to grow my business to the point I could take a back seat. We got close, but it never happened. My biggest customer let me down abysmally and the the VAT people did their worse.
    I do remember an occasion when I thought about getting something special just for myself to celebrate the time and the only thing I could think about was getting a decent guitar. I looked inside the guitar shop for a while, then got it out of my system by asking myself what the point of owning it was, since it would never be played in anger publically.
    It isn't easy losing a business you spent 11 years building, nor easy losing an unsupportive wife, but the one thing that kept me sane was my sense of humour. For all manner of reasons, there was so much going on that could turn tragedy into a laugh.
    I survived and ironically, once I sold the business and worked for the company I sold it to, I had more money than ever before in my back pocket.
    More highs and lows have followed, and many since I joined this site, but you won't find me overduely fretting about them. Just looking for humour in the circumstances as they arrive. It kept me going when I needed it.
    And now I'm back on the up again after I decided I needed more in my life than semi-retirement, I'm back in control and looking to earn serious money again.
    What is serious money? Is it money that asks you to think twice before spending it? Does the option exist to be paid in frivolous money?

16. anon8315

yeah I suppose it is really [​IMG]

17. Hey BG, sorry to hear that you're feeling so down. I get times like this too, particularly when I've been on my own for a while. Talking to family and friends on the phone can help to cheer me up and take my mind off brooding. I do think having something to look forward to each day could help. You mentioned that you're looking forward to returning to work. Are there any colleagues that you are friendly with that you could catch a coffee/movie/few drinks with? Catching up with people is a nice way to bring you back to yourself. I always like getting out for a walk or cycle, particularly along the beach, if you live near one? Something about the water, waves and wind that kind of clear my head. Reading and movies are great escapes too. I hope things start looking up for you again soon :)

18. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

[​IMG]
    I don't know how old you are Badger, but I do know as one gets older it gets harder and harder to make proper friends - though I don't circulate much in "society", it has to be said. Most of my friends are from when I was much younger (school and uni), I only see them now and then, and though the links are strong. I'm not very good at making new friends - if I didn't have a partner and grown up kids nearby I would be pretty lonely. Adults are very wary of making friends I think. I have a few inklings of the reasons, but I don't understand it fully.

19. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Threads like this make me reaslise how different I am from "normal" women.

20. anon8315

Why, Lilachardy?
    Eureka, thank you. I do have some lovely friends, but it's just getting harder to see as much of them as I'd like, most have partners/families and yes I agree adults are wary when it comes to friendship, either that ir it doesn't come easily to me, and I'm nice and friendly, I think.
    Family are a huge part of the reason I feel so down - I feel badly let down by them, and shouldn't really, but I do.