1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cheering people up

Discussion in 'Primary' started by littlemisswaffle, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Hi I wonder if anyone can help me think of some ideas.
    With the change in the weather (i.e. it is freezing) and the fact that it is dark and miserable outside, the moral at my school is very low. People have a lot on and so are stressed and tired and run down.
    I would really like to do something to cheer people up but I cant think of what would be a good idea. I am KS1 manager so could take an assembly or something to help give people some time but was trying to think of something a bit better.
    Does anyone have any ideas? If someone could do something to cheer you up, what would it be?

Thanks for any ideas.

2. dc521

dc521 New commenter

I find employing a loud, slightly mad gay at a school soon livens the place up ... that's why my head did when she took me on.
    Perhaps a more effective solution would be to create a checklist of tasks that need to be done and then encourage people to cross them off and then line manage any issues that are in the way? EG, if you have a whole school work scrutiny in place and staff are in panic mode about it, then offer to quickly check their books to see that they are on track?
    Also, I've found a very effective solution to cheer me up at school is to be sent a child's work that contains one of those howlers that make anyone laugh. One of my little cherubs is struggling with spelling the word can't ... usually we get cant but sometimes the vowel is changed to something else ...

3. zannar

zannar New commenter

Just stop telling me to do something new each week because another school is doing it and doing well. They don't have our cohort. Accept there is chalk and cheese.

Sorry. It has been a long, long week and it's only Tuesday![​IMG]

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

£500 behind the bar at the staff Christmas do.

5. zannar

zannar New commenter

That's mine. What are you going to do?[​IMG]

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Are you going to do the assemblies or not? It's a good idea, everyone welcomes 20 minutes to sit down and have a bun or two.
    Offering to wash everyone's car in your lunch hour might go down well too.

7. Thanks for your ideas.

Yes I can do an assembly tomorrow, try to give people a chance to breathe. I wish I could take away some of the the stupid latest ideas from the top but I dont have enough say.

I am not so sure about the car washing, it is -2 outside at the moment! Will try to think of some more.