1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Checking Reading Records

Discussion in 'Primary' started by EBF, Apr 30, 2019.

1. EBF

EBF New commenter

I was just wondering what other schools/teachers do in terms of checking the reading records of the children in your class. I have a Year 1 class.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

When I was teaching each child had a reading record book. We recorded the title , author and level/colour of the book and wrote in it each time an adult (teacher. TA or parent ) heard a child read with a small comment about how they'd 'achieved' for purposes of communication and record keeping.
    Have also seen this done on a sheet kept in a class folder, for those children who manage to 'lose' the reading record. ;)

Also had a chart on the wall and gave a child a 'dot' sticker to put on the correct day when they'd read in school. Meant one could check how many times they'd been heard read and to catch up easily if they'd been absent by a quick look on the chart.

By the time they were in yr 3+ I also allowed the children to write in when they'd been heard by a 'buddy' - for those who were reading well and just needed practise.

3. sulkydame

sulkydame New commenter

Our teachers stamp mark home reading records each week. Children change their books when they need to and during the weekly library slot, the teacher focuses on target children to listen to readers and move up book bands etc. Our lower school children take home reading records and upper school read at home and then fill in their own reading records in class each morning. We're a junior school.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.