1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Check your TP service record

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Sundaytrekker, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I logged on to TPS to look for my pension payslip and found they had updated the service record. For the first time I could see the dates of all my service, and any gaps, right back to when I first qualified. It even showed my annual salary back then of just over £5000 a year for full time teaching.

If you haven’t claimed your pension yet do check your service history is complete.

Morninglover and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. djhappy

djhappy New commenter

Can I just emphasise the importance of this. I am taking my pension early in September, but in the year or so leading up to this I checked my statement carefully. I found several gaps where my employer had changed pay roll provider and they had not updated the pension correctly. I also founds gaps when I moved between jobs. These added up to over a couple of months of of missing contributions.
    My employer sorted these out, but it did it take several attempts of checking and going back and saying, nope, still all covered.

Sundaytrekker and Morninglover like this.
  3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I retired some years ago, and found some gaps in my service record. I had to contact one previous school (who sorted it out quickly) and found that a few days of strike action in the mid 1980s caused the other breaks in service.

So, check, check, check!

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Just go add to earlier comments that the sooner you highlight the omission, the easier it is to rectify.
    I d been checking my pension statement in light of my forthcoming retirement. There was suddenly a gap of a years
    or so from when the school (I’d been working at for years) had been taken on by an academy chain. It was an admin error , quickly resolved within a couple of weeks. So the sooner you realise and can contact the relevant people the better.

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  5. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Cannot emphasise the importance of checking your pension contributions.
    It is up to you to contact any previous employer should there be gaps.
    No one else will do this for you.

Treacle3 likes this.
  6. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

I’ll just add to the above “...especially if you’ve ever worked for Wakefield MDC.”

I don’t know anyone who worked for them where they’d got it right.

7. Baron_Hamstead

Baron_Hamstead New commenter

It was fascinating to find this updated version of my service history when logged In a couple of days ago. My salary increased 10 fold over some 35 years! Without inflation I would be wealthy lol. It also made me realise, for the first few years, how much less I was paid compared to my friends who did not become teachers.

8. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I have just checked mine and am glad I did. I foolishly opted out for 6 years at the beginning of my teaching career, which I obviously expected to see on my service record but I have an unexpected gap between 1/4/2011 and 31/3/2012 which is marked as a 'Break in service' and 'non pensionable'. This is at the school I currently work at. How do I go about sorting this out, please?

9. Sundaytrekker

Hopefully you’ve got your payslips which prove you had pension deductions in that period. Then contact HR at your LA or academy chain and ask them to confirm that information with TPS. TPS will only act on information and contributions via your employer.

10. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Thanks. I'm pretty sure the gap wasn't there before TPS updated the website! Unfortunately I haven't kept payslips going back that far but have my P60 for that year which clearly shows I made pension contributions. I'll get onto it on Monday.

11. 60sunnysmile

60sunnysmile New commenter

I check regularly but yesterday my surprise was that my 7years if transferred in pension was missing. I sent TP a secure message so let’s see what happens.

12. Sundaytrekker

If they had it before at TPS but haven’t now then it may be worth checking with TPS first. You would hope they can compare previous records. Always worth printing too.

lardylady likes this.
  13. zagubov

zagubov New commenter

Don't just download any relevant documents, take screenshots of everything you see on the TPS website. It helped me when I found gaps when we changed employer.

14. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Will look, but took my TP 10 years ago. Can't believe it!
    The record seemed correct at the time. Would they correct any errors AFTER you started to draw your pension?

15. diddydave

diddydave Lead commenter

At the time it came as a shock to me to realise that I actually had taken a pay cut to become a teacher...I had been a taxi driver !

16. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I rang TPS who said I had to get in touch with the payroll people at Birmingham City Council. It's virtually impossible to locate a relevent email address or phone number on their website. I don't think they like dealing with actual people and make it as difficult as possible.

17. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I've just looked at mine and it is very confusing. I'll need to get all my old payslips out again, I thought I'd sorted it before moving house. There are lots of breaks in service which I don't recognise but then I'm not hot on the dates.
    Can anyone tell me what "concurrent employment" is or point me to the place which will tell me.

18. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

It’s an absolute disgrace.

Surely, when schools handle your salary, and take pension payments from you, they must have some legal obligation to ensure it’s logged correctly.

I discovered my history was a complete mess. I asked my employer to sort it out, and little-to-nothing happened. In the end I told them that, whilst I didn’t want to, I was going to end up getting my union involved, as large sums of money had been taken from my account but, according to the school’s records as given to TPS, had not been sent.

It was sorted very quickly.

This is theft by any other name.

brook123lyn and Piranha like this.
  19. Sundaytrekker

Concurrent employment means service in more than one school or LA at a time. Eg, I have periods with part time employment for two different county councils at the same time.

Wotton likes this.
  20. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I recall getting a statement every year showing my service record. Admittedly, it confused people because if was nearly a year out of date, but it did show up the year that our LA didn't submit a return so everybody was missing a year. That enabled the error to be rectified. Do you have to look online now?