1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Check your receipts BEFORE leaving the shop...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Middlemarch, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I've found I've been overcharged on three separate occasions in the last fortnight, but only on reaching home, necessitating a return to each shop. All three coughed up without a murmur and in two of the cases - involving two different supermarkets (one beginning with A and one beginning with T) that had charged for two bottles of wine when I'd only bought one, they paid up without any proof whatsoever that what I was saying was true. In the third case (involving a clothing store), they'd failed to remove the saving promised on the labels and merely taking back the labels and receipt got me the refund.
    However - if I hadn't spotted these 3, I'd have been 15 quid less well off than I should have been. I'm principally concerned by the till clocking up two of one item at the supermarkets, because if it happened to me twice in a fortnight, how often is that happening to others on a daily basis?
    Anyone else got similar experiences?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Sainsbury's is very bad for this. I always check my bill as soon as I've passed through the checkout and have found it wrong one in every three times. It usually happens when I buy a special offer and then the offer price fails to come up. I have complained to the manager of the local branch and to the customer service dept at head office. I can't say it has made any difference. But I agree with Middly; be vigilant!

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

When I worked for a major retailer the problem was that the offers were "downloaded" to the local store server every day, in the morning. Thus, if there was a problem with these downloading and executing, there was not a lot you could do, short of manually overriding the prices.
    The other option would be to phone Head Office to see if it was "company wide" and, if it was, you would need to wait for a patch and then SHUT DOWN the system and re-download (about 25 minutes down time). During that time, you couldn't make any sales.
    It was an awful situation. I used to dread the launch of new offers as customers don't like 1) waiting for you to override prices 2) waiting for you to "switch it off and on again".
    Not sure if this is the cause of problems in supermarkets (local systems not being updated).

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Oh I can beat that!
    I packed all my shopping up, tried to pay and then discovered I had left my debit card at home. So the supermarket put my shopping in the cold store whilst I went home and collected my card. I then returned to the store and paid for my shopping before returning back home. When I tried to unpack my shopping I discovered it wasn't there, remembered I hadn't picked it up from the cold store so then had to go back, yet again, to the supermarket to collect my shopping[​IMG]
    I think I spent more on petrol than I did on food!

5. Carrie that has made my day :)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

And mine - it makes me look competent!

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Ditto here. I needed a good laugh, though it's the sort of thing I do too, so it's not laughing <u>at</u> but <u>with</u> you.

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I need a MUCH-redder-face emoticon.

I sometimes amaze myself that I can get through a day without either getting lost or ending up in the wrong place-today I turned up for a training day at the wrong school, and I've managed to arrive for several courses on the wrong day!
    However, perhaps surprisingly, I am incredibly organised in the classroom!

9. I thought that T had a policy that if you were overcharged you got a refund and got to keep the product - think that S do that as well.

10. I always check my receipts and often find mistakes but it's usually too much of a hassle to go back and haggle over one or two double charged items. I do realise that this replicated many times nationwide is making lots of money for supermarkets who are already profiteering from us all :(

11. hazeymazey

hazeymazey New commenter

The cashier at my local Sainsbury 'gave' me an iceberg lettuce on New Years eve. He waited sooooooooooo long for someone to price check it that in the end he sighed and said 'it's really not worth the bother -happy new year'. Made me smile.

12. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

More to the point, why were you buying SALAD during the Christmas break? If it wasn't to coat it and chocolate and deep fry it, I am not amused [​IMG]

13. Supermarkets profiteering? There isn't a supermarket within walking distance of where I live but it's still cheaper to gat a taxi both ways than it is to shop local in the "high" street!

14. T have a policy of refunding double the difference now - they used to refund you and give you the product, but I was overcharged in there this weekend, and walked out with double the overcharge in my purse!

15. My friend worked on a checkout part-time whilst at uni and hated it - she said that the managers were horrible and most of the customers were rude and acted like she was an idiot.
    If anybody was nice to her she would 'forget' to swipe some of their items, so that they got a little bonus!
    I'm always nice to people if I ever go to the supermarket (usually shop online) but it's never happened to me.

16. I've just been to the supermarket today, so after seeing this thread, I pulled out my receipt.
    Lo and behold! There's a mistake on it! The buy 2 for &pound; hasn't gone through.
    Suppose I should take myself back to A tomorrow and get my money back!

I'm going to double check the receipt of a dress I bought earlier today too, as although it was discounted, I'm sure she didn't take as much off it as it should have had... (mind you, it was still a bargain and it's a local, independant store, so I might not go back if it is wrong)

17. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

This happened to me when I was buying presents when the offer was get 3 for the price of 2. I bought a few but when I checked my receipt (still in the store) I couldn't work out if I'd got enough 'free' presents. I went to customer services and the young lady duly checked my receipt and sent me off to get 2 more gifts. When I returned she then proceeded to give me a &pound;5.00 refund as well. I was so surprised I didn't say anything and still don't understand the system, but my secret santa recipient was happy!

18. Log into this, scroll down to the eight photographs of the transactions and try to work out what is going on (and who is conning who).

http://www.fraudtips.net/pdfs/AbagnaleTips_ShortChangeArtist.pdf

19. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I used to be a Team Leader at Tesco and they used to try this quite regularly, always picked on the young/new cashiers. It was very satisfying when I spotted them and stood and watched the change being given then stepped in quickly before they could try it on!

20. I used to fill my car up at a little local garage when i went to my Dad;s every week. I rarely checked how much i was putting in - always tired and stressed. ONe day i just happened to notice exactly how much petrol had gone in and when I went to pay was charged about 50p more. When I looked at the receipt they had rung up a non-existent oack of chewing gum. Not a bad little earner.if you do that with every harrassed customer.
    I was charged for two electric toothbrushes at Tesco - had only bought one. I wish I had made more of a fuss now.