1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Check out the new EAL forum.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by grdwdgrrrl, Jun 22, 2019.

  1. grdwdgrrrl

    grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

    Can’t wait to see all you EAL curious folks there.
    yasf likes this.
  2. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    Everyone is already on Dave's ESL Cafe.
  3. krakowiak6

    krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

    What actually is EAL? Isn't it just ESL with a different name and higher wage than TEFL teachers get?
  4. yasf

    yasf Established commenter

    It shouldn't be, but often is as it's cheaper and SLT have other demands on their purses.

    @grdwdgrrrl has already posted some great links and ideas on the EAL forum.
  5. krakowiak6

    krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

    S0me ads on here for EAL teachers just ask for a TEFL/CELTA certificate and experience as an EAL teacher. That's why I asked the difference. I don't know if there is an actual EAL qualification but that's what I have seen advertised on here.
  6. yasf

    yasf Established commenter

    Yup - there are.

    EAL has progressively been downgraded as a subject area in the UK for a long time now. If you speak to Canadian, Australian or even American teachers, their expectations are higher.
  7. krakowiak6

    krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

    The VIS has a programme called "English Language Acquisition". I think ELA is a better acronym than EAL. I wonder who coined the acronym EAL. Is it a British-coined term I wonder. There are lots of vacancies for EAL teachers still on TES.
  8. yasf

    yasf Established commenter

    Try this link

    where you can find this article

    ESL or ‘EAL’ Programme or ‘support’. The baggage that comes with names

    For those that can't be bothered / don't have the time:

    EFL - or Foreign Language learning takes place in an environment where the language is not really used outside of the classroom.

    ESL - or Second Language Learning takes place in an environment where the language is used outside the classroom in a professional or academic setting. It is not however the the learner's

    First Language or Mother Tongue.

    * note that first and second refer to position not number, as it is possible for a student to have more than one first language / mother tongue, as well as more than one second language. This misunderstanding led to the coining of

    EAL - or Additional Language - which was coined in the UK by unqualified well meaning folk. The professional / trained ESL community don't like the term, although have come to accept it as it has become ubiquitous. However you will also see the term Multilingual learners as a kind of compromise.

    ELA - or English Language Acquisition is something that I have only seen in the IB MYP, but I quite like the term. It does however gloss over the difference between Foreign and Second language learning, and their unique requirements and challenges.
  9. krakowiak6

    krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

    I would suggest ELA is a university term that professors use. I also don't really like the term EAL. Much prefer ESL.
  10. grdwdgrrrl

    grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

    Not the same thing. This is about subject teachers for EAL.
  11. grdwdgrrrl

    grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

    How about ELL. Anyway, it’s already done so can we just get on with it?
  12. grdwdgrrrl

    grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

    There is not an EAL qualification. However, the NALDIC is advocating for one. I try to get as much training and gain qualification as I feel necessary to be the best support teacher I can be. It is quite interesting, because there isn’t a specific qualification I can educate myself in areas that my students and classroom need help in. Since we support students so they can access the curriculum they are studying we must build relationships with teachers and support teachers as well as students. We need to educate teachers and SLT on best practices for EAL support. I find it really interesting and challenging.
  13. grdwdgrrrl

    grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

    For me the difference is I’m not just a language teacher. I help students to become bilingual and access the curriculum of the English medium school where they learn.
  14. yasf

    yasf Established commenter

    English Language Learners? A term that mainly comes from the US I think.
    The debating of the terms can definitely be overdone, but as you noted they aren't all interchangeable.
    by all means :)
    The closest UK one I've come across is this one.

    I had to go through a North American university when I retrained.
  15. grdwdgrrrl

    grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

    This is tiring. I just wanted to talk shop. Best practices, strategies, why it’s important to support, how to promote it, why it’s not the same as teaching in a language school, types of assessment and how to use it to set targets and planning. I don’t want to debate the acronym.
  16. krakowiak6

    krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

    The Masters course in Bilingualism that you refer to says it is a part-time distance course so I don't know if it would be acceptable for the ME. Student Finance England told me that they don't accept distance courses for the Masters loan but the link you provided suggests they do.
  17. krakowiak6

    krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

    It's not the same as teaching in a langguage school cos international schools teach IGCSE English as a Second Language and for this course the students have to be able to read topics and understand what the topic is about and they have to do some research on the topic. Students at a language school don't have or need to do this. They also learn whatever subject through the medium of English so they need to be able to understand the vocabulary of the subject and what the teacher is talking about. Again, students at a language school don't need to do this.
  18. yasf

    yasf Established commenter

    Yes, I'd say that the learning in a language school is a lot shallower and narrower. It's also focussed on the course rather than on the student.

    I did post an article on push in vs pull out. What's your view on it?
  19. grdwdgrrrl

    grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

    Currently, my school does the withdrawal method, which is so 1980’s. I have previously worked in schools that push in and/ or co teach, co plan and collaborate. I prefer the cooperation approach.
  20. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    Pull out is a terrible idea. Thankfully all my recent schools have not done it

Share This Page