1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cheating teachers contribute to poor standards.....Discuss.

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by 16 Heath, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Your responses please...... teachers who take in c/w and correct it/add their own phrases etc for students to re-do are :

a) being realistic in a competitive world where results are what count. If other teachers do it, why should your students fall short?.

OR

b) contributing to poor standards, student dependance and losing their integrity. Going against what teaching and learning stands for.

I do not mean giving writing frames and would like to hear comments from a range of language teachers.

2. PierreImport

PierreImport Administrator

It's like asking for opinions and then publishing others' ideas as your own, I assume.

3. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

Heehee Pierre !

I happened to see abandoned in our photocopying room this week a coursework crib sheet for Drama GCSE. It was basically "Copy out this introduction and conclusion, and then here are all the main points that you need to make to compare and contrast Grease and High School Musical". No wonder Drama is so easy.

4. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

Another reason not to do coursework. at least when my students do badly in the writing exam, I'll know they did badly on their own...

sam

5. No publishing intended Pierre, honest. My personal opinion is that it's wrong, nut I'd like to hear the views of others.

Guess you don't know me so perhaps that's why you're suspicious? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?<font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font>

6. This is relevant, honest, though it may not immediately appear so.
    I used to live in W.Africa and taught French in a local Junior Secondary School. The pupils were assessed by exam and by a continuous assessment process involving setting a number of controlled tasks (teacher's discretion) as to what, during their final year. On the basis of their grades they got places in a senior secondary school to do O levels, etc. It was extremely important to them to get into a good school, if they were to get on in life.
    I remember being told that the marks I and others had awarded on the continuous assessment tasks were not high enough. We sat and added about 10 per cent on to everyone. This was justified, because the head and the deputy knew that everyone in the south and richer part of the country did it, and they didn't want their students to be disadvantaged (they were already disadvantaged by living in the north, but that's another story) It had not, at that point, occurred to anyone that submission of work for moderation purposes might be a good idea.
    It was a church school, moral standards were otherwise very high, and I was horrified, but I was not in a position to argue and I did as I was told. Had I remained there another year (we were at the end of my husband's contract so we were due to return home) I would certainly have set easier tasks - and given them more help.
    Which brings me to why I started to post this.
    Because some teachers "help" their pupils and break the rules, others end up feeling they have to do the same. Or disadvantage their kids. So then standards do drop - because pupils are producing work of which they are not really capable. It's a vicious circle.
    We do the writing paper in our place - the reason is because the HOD felt that coursework doesn't prepare them adequately for A level work. Which says it all really.

7. I do coursework with my French, German and Spanish classes.
    I follow the exam board's requirements and use the 'tick box' in the appendix in the Edexcel guide. The moment I did more than this, it would be cheating. Not open for debate. My professional integrity is more important than a student getting a 'C' or their target grade.
    I would be horrified if anyone in my Faculty did otherwise.
    GL

8. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

I agree totally germanlad, but (I'm playing devil's advocate here) what if your performance management depended on it and there was a culture of <strike>cheating</strike> helping in every other subject in your school and you were under pressure from your head of department to do it?

sam

PS I don't do coursework (and nor do my students!)

9. Then I would rather get a poor performance management and do the right thing.

10. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

We use Edexcel and I just do the ticksheet, as we're supposed to. Before we start c/w I make all the criteria quite clear - what they must include, and what to be careful of ( genders, adjective agreement, tenses etc.)
    I will also work on the c/w topic before they start it so that I know they have the relevant vocab and will have done similar writing. However, once they start the actual coursework they're on their own! If they are too lazy to have taken note in class beforehand then it's tough really.

11. jolet

jolet New commenter

What about students who cheat on c/w? I was given the task of correcting a group of GCSE students c/w. Some students in that group had been branded as "natural linguists" and predicted higher grades. After testing and assessing them using more conventional means, as well as taking into consideration their participation in lessons,individual styles of learning, interest for the subject and as many AFL strategies possible, going through their c/w I observed something was not quite right. Some students would translate entire sentences and passages with the help of internet facilities.They would had in their work and expected me to give them a top grade for something they had been downloading from the internet. Once confronted and told that that was not the kind of c/w expected they would blush and make poor excuses.

I made a comment about this to the person responsible for delivering the rest of the lessons to the group but told not to bother. Then, why bother at all about c/w?

12. madameh

madameh New commenter

I think we all know that excessive 'helping' with gcse coursework is widespread...as a moderator we were told " you're not the police...trust the teacher's word!!" See also, the incredible achievement of pupils with the role play section of the oral compared to the general conversation...always commented on in the exam report. The board knows there's cheating, we know it, the government knows it. The question is why are they still insisting that cwk is a viable option? To 'improve' standards that's why. It's a big con and everyone knows it. Self delusion and spin-doctoring to the extreme. It really makes me mad....rant over.

13. miss303

miss303 New commenter

I don't post much but this hit a nerve. I currently have 2 year 11 classes in a school with a 'challenging' intake. I am still struggling to get all course work in. I totally agree that cheating is rife and wrong but teachers are set up to fail where coursework is concerned. I have ridiculously unachievable targets to meet, I am being told that so and so should clearly have a B (despite bunking half my lessons and having lost every book and pen ever given). If we just gave the cw outline and referred them back to work which should have been done in class, I would get nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I have pushed again and again to more to the written exam but no, 'we need to give our students every oppurtunity to get the best grade'. From that I assume SLT are actively encouraging cheating. I find the whole situation really upsetting and stressful and would hate to intentionally cheat on anything but I feel I am being pushed to flex the rules or else face lots of questioning about my result.

Ban all coursework and save us from this stupid circus every year!!!

14. jolet

jolet New commenter

Yes, enough of giving things on a platter and making believe.Ban coursework and give teachers a break. There is enough stress involved in the job. I certainly felt it was too much to have to bend the rules. What is the point of being objective and professional, of taking into account all the available AFL strategies if you are not allowed to give objective results.

15. jolet

jolet New commenter

I also rant, rant and rant over and over again and get maaaaaaaaad!.

16. Started post as was basically told to re-write chunks of the c/w for students if not up to standard.I strongly disagree on so many levels and have never done so and results have always been fine. Can only hope this strengthens my case.

Unfortunately, I am in the minority of opinion in my Dept, including Head.

Next week I am going in to our meeting and sticking to my guns which I know will cause trouble. When are they ending c/w?

Anyone else been in this position where you and colleagues so violently disagree?

Afraid will cause **** atmosphere. Help!

17. I also feel strongly about this. Maybe TES could raise awareness in the newspaper so that the people who keep saying they are going to get rid of coursework get on and do it.

18. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

Outrageous !! How can your colleagues possibly sign the coursework coversheet with a clear conscience ?
    AQA's 2009 specification says: <font face="Garamond"></font><font face="Garamond">
    Where special help which goes beyond normal learning support is

given, AQA must be informed so that such help can be taken into

account when assessment and moderation take place.

And then the teacher has to sign each pupil's declaration sheet saying the following <font face="RotisSansSerif,Bold"></font><font face="RotisSansSerif,Bold">
    Declaration by teacher
    </font><font face="RotisSansSerif">
    I confirm that the candidate.s work was conducted under the conditions laid out by the specification.

I have authenticated the candidate.s work and am satisfied that to the best of my knowledge the work

produced is solely that of the candidate.

It's professional perjury. I'd be prepared to make careful notes during your meeting and to take it higher within. You're being asked to compromise your own professional integrity and standards. It could get the department and therefore the school into big trouble. Imagine the headlines......
    </font><font face="RotisSansSerif"></font></font>

19. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

Outrageous !! How can your colleagues possibly sign the coursework coversheet with a clear conscience ?
    AQA's 2009 specification says: <font face="Garamond"></font><font face="Garamond">
    Where special help which goes beyond normal learning support is

given, AQA must be informed so that such help can be taken into

account when assessment and moderation take place.

And then the teacher has to sign each pupil's declaration sheet saying the following <font face="RotisSansSerif,Bold"></font><font face="RotisSansSerif,Bold">
    Declaration by teacher
    </font><font face="RotisSansSerif">
    I confirm that the candidate.s work was conducted under the conditions laid out by the specification.

I have authenticated the candidate.s work and am satisfied that to the best of my knowledge the work

produced is solely that of the candidate.

It's professional perjury. I'd be prepared to make careful notes during your meeting and to take it higher within. You're being asked to compromise your own professional integrity and standards. It could get the department and therefore the school into big trouble. Imagine the headlines......
    </font><font face="RotisSansSerif"></font></font>

20. in fact Geekie feels so strongly she's posted twice to emphasise the point.....
    Joking apart, I thoroughly second that. How can you sign a declaration to say you haven't given extra help when you have. It's dishonest, and it is wrong of your HOD to place you in that position.
    Definitely make notes. If your results up till now have been ok, then you can use that as an argument as well, though the real reason for your objection still remains the fact that you are not going to compromise your professionalism by being dishonest.
    While it may be of little practical use, I am right behind you! And I'm sure loads of other people on the forum are too.