1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cheating or not cheating

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by timboleicester123, Jul 1, 2011.

1. We are supposed to correct a piece of writing in Spanish and let the kids learn it by heart at home to reproduce in an assessment for the end of KS3. We have been told this is good practice for the GCSE as they do this in the CA for the writing....
    Now what you think cheating or not cheating. I don't think you are supposed to know in advance what the writing is going to be about in great detail are you? The prep Work is to be done in controlled conditions and then in more controlled conditions....surely it's not right to give them a whole screed to learn by heart that the teacher has in effect writtien....

2. mpc

mpc

For GCSE, students work on a particular topic -let's say holidays - they have their work corrected as normal (teacher, self, peer etc). At the end of the teaching phase, students are given their CA title. From this point on, teachers are not allowed to correct work.
    I think that memorizing text in itself is not a bad thing. Cheating, for me, would be teachers intervening once CA titles have been issued (in KS4).

3. Yet this is precisely what is happening in this school. Under the old system a "practice" piece of course work would be given and they would do this in their books and then added too and marked by the class teacher and then given back to re-write on A4 paper and as if by magic the work in the book would never be mentioned again....the "new" work would be collected and used as the coursework and if necessary the feedback sheet attached to give the illusion that it was the first draft....this is I asked the board about this practice and they said it was against the spirit of the exam but in my mind its cheating as in effect they knew the question before the exam...the controlled conditions piece was done in a similar way but of course Lent by heart after correction....it's a sham..

4. But what if i gave you some Hungarian to learn by heart and then say reproduce this in the assessment I will be giving you. Unless you happen to be Hungarian you would spend the time learning it by heart but what good would it do you.....? The teachers are so driven to get the grades up that they have thrown pedagogy out of the window along with the bathwater the bath and the taps.....

5. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

6. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I would not call it cheating, but I don't think, as an assessment, it's very good practice really. You are not going to find out how good they are at the language, just who has the best memory and who is willing to out the time in.Now, there well may be a correlation....!

7. Random175

Random175 New commenter

In the old AQA modular spec the first speaking was a monologue and the pupils had to learn it off by heart (having written it of course). When I came across this first I thought how awful not really very good as an assessment at all. However after the first cohort I realised how important it had been as an exercise in internalising certain structures. I was able to remember their efforts (small group) and would often refer to them when talking about applying rules to new situations. As an exercise in itself I thought it was excellent. I find though that I really, really hate the idea of children learning a script off by heart which might be wrong. What on earth is the point? So no it isn't the best assessment at KS3 but as spsmith said it is good practice and very useful.
    As for finding out who has the best memory and not testing language skills. Well you need a very good memory for languages so I don't see the problem there. And if it is a way of training the memory and making children work I don't see a problem there either.
    What you describe at KS4 is cheating I think.

8. They then go on to use the results to produce the end of KS3 NC levels...

9. We too have adopted (loosely) the GCSE CA idea for KS3. We give the pupils the task in advance, give them time to prepare it and then they do the "stage 3" under exam conditions.

My main issue is that the pupils (particularly at KS3) are memorising whole chunks of <u>uncorrected</u> language - they are effectively committing to memory chunks of language which are littered with mistakes. Long term, I wonder what on earth this will end up producing....

10. It does not bode well. I recall being told during my PGCE to never write anything on the board that contained errors. The reason being you never wanted to give students the opportunity to memorise errors.