1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cheapest Car Insurance?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivor Novello, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Ivor Novello

Ivor Novello Occasional commenter

Yes, that time is almost upon the Novello family again! The car needs insuring and guess who is left searching the Internet typing in the same details over and over again, just to be greeted by ridiculously high quotes from companies that advertise, ad nauseam, on TV that they can either offer, of find, the cheapest and the best. It isn't true. I've done Gocompare, Moneysupermarket, Direct Line, Aviva, that Meercat thing and the cheapest is still £100 more than the renewal amount.
    I've heard that you can still get cheaper car insurance, so could some kind soul point me in the right direction?
    Thanks!

2. Where have you been for the last 18 months...just go to the confused meercat.com.

Shimpuls.!!!

3. Car insurance is no longer cheap. Have you any no claims discount to throw into the pot?

4. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

I would agree with Bauble. My father just had his renewal and the premium has increased by over £100. He has made no claims over the year or any other changes but there is the annual rate increase and the VAT increase to consider.
    He uses a broker and they couldn't find anything else cheaper

5. The cheapest and most sold in Germany.
    I suspect similar will be the case in the UK.
    http://www.europa-group.co.uk/
    Most of anyone I know is insured with them here - never been any problems with claims.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

moneysavingexpert.com quotes chapter and verse about going on cashback offer sites to get really cheap car insurance.
    One trick is to go to your existing insurer's website as if a new customer and see what their latest online discount offer is, then challenge them to match it by discounting your renewal quote. That worked for me once.

7. Ivor Novello

Ivor Novello Occasional commenter

Thanks for the replies, even for the useless, sarcastic ones - you know who you are!
    I tried that German one, but our existing company's renewal quote is still cheaper. I phoned them to try and blag it down a bit but they held fast, so I suppose they will be getting the job.
    I've tried going to the website of the one we're with now, but it asks for a vehicle licence number, so they know who is trying to get a quote.
    I've found these Gocompare and Meercra.p sites useless for cheap insurance, despite all their advertising claims.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

An indirect way to save money on your brum brum is to sign up with AutoAid for roadside recovery at only £38 a year.
    The lowest cost well-known insurers I could find were Admiral and Churchill.