1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cheap TVs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Jan 29, 2011.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I am not a huge TV fan. However, my 5th-hand telly is beginning to die - it buzzes loudly every time the image is very pale!
    Is it worth me buying a cheap TV (from Argos, for example?)
    Is it worth me paying an extra £30 or so to have an integral DVD player?
    (I've never had a DVD player before, can't really see the point - though I suppose I may use it occasionally if I had one.)
    I know Bush and Alba used to be brands to avoid - is this still the case?

As I've not bought a telly for about 20 years, so as you can see I'm a little out of touch! Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks
    Lil

2. Was exactly in your position just before Xmas, Lil.
    I decided not to get integral DVD as it meant I could spend my money on a better quality TV.
    Ended up spending £200 on a 22" Samsung, Freeview included.
    Wish I'd parted with my 20 yr old portable sooner lol

3. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

It all depends what you mean by a cheap tv. Argos will stock well known brands and if the same model is cheaper in Argos compared to another shop,I have no quams about buying from there (and you can spend your Nectar points too!), If by cheap you mean an unknow brand,I've recently bought a Luxor tv (with DVD player) from Asda for the bedroom and it's pretty good. It's a 22 inches one and the sound/picture quality is really good. It look pretty good too,at least not any worse than the proper branded ones we also looked at.

4. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

It really does depend on how much you want to enjoy the picture quality. As a bloke who only wants to watch sport on tv, I'd recommend at least a 42inch screen and surround sound. You may not agree with that.......Some tvs come with a USB port so you can watch videos this way....much less clutter. How much do you want to spend?

5. lilachardy

I don't want to spend anything really!

42"? You're joking? I'm thinking 20" max!
    Surround sound is pointless as I'm pretty deaf.

How does the USB thing work? What goes on the other end of the lead?

6. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I got a Toshiba 22" in Argos in the summer. It was less than £200 and it's been pretty good.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If your chosen TV offers High Definition make sure you get an Freeview HD tuner built in, and not just Freeview, otherwise the HD bit is pointless.

You can pick up small DVD players in supermarkets or off eBay for less than £20 if you want one. A SCART lead for connecting it shouldn't cost more than £2-3 either. Don't let some **** in the TV shop try to sell you a gold-plated lead for silly money.

8. If you're not bothered about what it is (and are happy to have a smaller screen and one of the older style big tvs - i cant remember the word, but not flatscreen) you will get one free from freecycle more than likely.

9. magic surf bus

CRT - (Cathode Ray Tube)

10. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

If your buying something personally I'd buy something 'good' Freeview HD is now very normal on TVs so I'd look at buying a TV with that.
    I wouldn't bother with an integrated DVD player unless your putting it on the wall/desperately want less clutter. You can pick them up pretty cheap on their own and it causes less problems if things break (only have to replace TV OR DVD not both)
    If there isn't too much of a cost difference I would buy your TV from John Lewis or M&S as their guarentee is 5 years. I recommend these:
    http://www.johnlewis.com/230950654/Product.aspx £40 cheaper on Amazon but shorter guarentee.
    http://www.marksandspencer.com/Sony-Bravia-32-KDL-32EX403-LCD/dp/B003G5TSAE?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_1&nodeId=198143031&sr=1-1&qid=1296303918&pf_rd_r=11T3ZE4QJJGA3X08802T&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=198143031&pf_rd_p=215570647&pf_rd_s=related-items-3If you need low running costs look at LED, as these are the cheapest to run (and I think the picture quality is better) x

11. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Join your local Freegle, there are lots of people giving away perfectly good TV's when they replace them with flatscreen ones.

13. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Amazon do some good deals

14. magic surf bus

I'd second that. We got a very good deal with John Lewis on a new TV before Xmas, including free 5yr warranty and a £100+ Blu-Ray player chucked in for free. Amazon's TVs were cheaper, but no extras.

15. lilachardy

Thanks for answers so far. I'm looking at your links.

If it hasn't got an integral DVD player, I won't get one, so that's not an issue.

I'll find out if John Lewis deliver here - a few years ago they didn't!

Given the limited space in my livingroom, I want a flatscreen TV - though thanks for the freecycle/freagle pointers. I am considering wall-mounting it too, to free up more floor space!

16. I tried a Goodmans integrated tv/dvd from John Lewis a while ago, but the picture on dvd was rubbish. JL took it back, no problems.
    Generally, I agree, JL is the place to buy from, but I have a small Medion tv/dvd from Aldi that came with a 3-year warranty, and is multiregion. (That bit probably won't matter to you, but I have quite a few dvds that I bought years ago - they don't seem to be much cheaper in the States any more, so these days I buy R2 ones). Can't remember the size, think it's 17", but the picture is great for the money. It wouldn't compete with a 42" 1080p HD whatever, but it has as many bells and whistles as I can ever imagine using.
    Same model probably not currently available, so basically this is a long-winded way of saying check out what you can get at Aldi, too :)

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Got a 24 inch TV that you can have for free if you collect.

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Persoanally i seeno reall point of HD unless you watch tv a lot an dlive to see every pimple and line on a face.I dont have flatscreen and enjoy tv..but maily watch on the prtable in the back room her.
    However, if your limited for room then flat screen is the way to go...keep your eyes out for the bargins........and if your going to wall mount it make sure you get it done well.....many tv sellers wil often offer you this service for an additional fee.

19. lilachardy

Thanks - but I think you live in England?
    With petrol costing me 18p a mile, I think it's probably cheaper to buy locally!

I can see no point in HD either, as I watch TV without my eyes on!

20. henriette

henriette New commenter

a) Freecycle
    b) supermarket