1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cheap train tickets

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Feb 22, 2011.

1. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Oops - exceptionally RARE, nothing to do with taste!

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I don't......I tried to make that point in my OP.
    Why? I live very close to London and would expect it to cost me less to get there on a train than if I live a long way off. Just like I expect to pay more to fly to the USA than Paris. I also fully understand the idea of 'peak' fares. What pisses me off is being ripped off and the total inconsistency in rail fares.
    I also get really pissed off when you pay £stupid-lots to travel at peak time yet cannnot get a seat, and end up squished in the connecting bit. Perhaps if the train companies insist on charging double to travel at peak times they could at least have the decency to use enough carriages.

3. OK - as I see it you can save about £6 on this...
    A lot more if you left after 10am!!!
    Single going is 19.40. SIngle return is 13. Travelcard will then be 6.60 assuming you haven't got an oyster card.
    Often when leaving at those times it is cheaper to use two singles...

Have fun.

4. BelleDuJour

Brilliant. Ta. Will look at this.
    Problem is have to be somewhere by 10am hance travelling at the times stated.

5. That's a shame as it would only have been £16.50 after 10am!!!

6. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Hi,
    I found an off peak day return, leaving basingstoke at 8.47, getting into paddington at 10.02 (would this be too late?), price £20. I think it's the time you're going that is causing the problem tbh, can you set off earlier maybe?
    Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

7. I'm usually an hour and half early for courses in London so as to avoid travelling on the peak service - the hideous wake up time is made up for by the huge financial saving...

8. BelleDuJour

now that's an idea Flutts.....will check it out. Ta [​IMG]

9. BelleDuJour

No good.
    Same price even if I catch a train at 4.50am.
    Pah [​IMG]

10. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Eeesh, at what ungodly hour would you have to get up????
    Hardly worth going to bed really. [​IMG]

11. BelleDuJour

I am most deffo NOT doing that!
    After much muttering and mumbling OH has offered to pay for my ticket. I suspect he just wants to guarantee he can get rid of me for the day! [​IMG]

12. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

And indeed it does. At rush hour the fares are pretty standard and the further you travel the more expensive it is likely to be - unless of course you happen to be travelling on a route which doesn't carry many customers.
    Which won't fit at the platforms and will slow down the network timetable?

The fact is that the main problem with all of this is the infrastructure, something which - because of privitisation - train-operating companies have no incentive to do anything about.
    I agree wholeheartedly that it's a problem - suggest you direct your blame at your Member of Parliament rather than the TOC, though.

13. BelleDuJour

So how come Reading to London (nearer) is more expensive than Basingstoke to London (further away)?
    I was saying this to OH just today.

14. More commuters

My better half pays about £19 and he travels peak .... of course an annual rail card (approx £5K) might be over the top if you are only going once [​IMG]

15. BelleDuJour

Yes, even for me RF [​IMG]

16. BelleDuJour

Well, bitten the bullet. Booked ticket. £4.50 booking fee and no frigging seats available!
    [​IMG]