1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cheap train tickets

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Feb 22, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Pah! Been searching for a day return to London via the so-called cheap sites. I only live a 40 minute train journey away and the cheapest I can get is £45 and a bit!
    They advertise up to 80% off.
    Dogsbollox! If that were 80% off the full price would be a few hundred quid. Joke!
    I reckon this fare is 0% off....and the rest!
    If it weren't for parking it would be cheaper to drive and pay congestion charge.
    Thank God I don't want to go to Edinburgh!
    Rant over [​IMG]

2. BelleDuJour

Pah! Been searching for a day return to London via the so-called cheap sites. I only live a 40 minute train journey away and the cheapest I can get is £45 and a bit!
    They advertise up to 80% off.
    Dogsbollox! If that were 80% off the full price would be a few hundred quid. Joke!
    I reckon this fare is 0% off....and the rest!
    If it weren't for parking it would be cheaper to drive and pay congestion charge.
    Thank God I don't want to go to Edinburgh!
    Rant over [​IMG]

3. Are you travelling peak time?

Are you booking well in advance?

4. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

t'is cheaper....

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Where were you looking? East coast are supposed to be the best.

6. BelleDuJour

Not going from east coast. Will keep looking but I think it's all a bit of a piss take and bloody expensive!

7. Where are you travelling from? When do you want to travel and come back? Tell us and we can help you look!

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I live far from the east coast but they still do great prices for my trips to London.

9. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

We can never find cheap fares from Plymouth to London - cancelled our last planned trip as they wanted 175 return for two of us.

10. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

To get to my nearest city is £7.50.
    To get to London is £12.

It's utterly ridiculous - you don't pay for the distance travelled, it's just a random set of prices so far as I can see!

11. BelleDuJour

Basingstoke to Waterloo this Friday. Leaving 8.30am ish and returning anytime. Have scoured all websites and all are charging £45 for a travelcard.

12. BelleDuJour

Just looked at Reading to London. £43 with travelcard but more expensive than Basingstoke without.
    I guess to work for the rail network you do not need a GCSE in Maths!

13. Well that answers my question and explains the cost

14. BelleDuJour

15. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

have you tried the red spotted hanky site

16. yep, if you can leave earlier or later it will make a large difference. from here to London is a £120 difference with peak and off peak travel

17. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Yep, that sounds about right. All the London routes are expensive and you can never find discounts. It's cheaper with a Network rail card but you have to travel after 10.00am.

18. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

go the night before and have a jolly

19. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I can travel 200+ miles return on a Saturday for £44 if I book 6 weeks in advance. If I take a child with me using a family railcard, it's cheaper (for 2 seats!!), if I pay on the day it's £180. That really encourages me to use public transport on a whim!!

20. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I'm always surprised at how surprised people are by train fares. Just like airlines, they use low prices to try to persuade people to travel at times when trains are empty. They have no need to drum up business for rush hour - quite the opposite!
    And don't believe the 80% hype from online booking companies. Discounts are exceptionally taste on train tickets. The low prices come from traveling off-peak and booking in advance. It may well cost 80% less if you do that online... But it would cost exactly the same if you walked into a station months in advance too