1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cheap NQT teachers favoured over experienced ones now

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Spencer_DT, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

Mmmmm not too sure about this one??
    I have hired plenty of staff in the last 7-8 years and the choice has often been commensurate and in line with the member of the team leaving, replacing like with like. I have found NQT's to be fantastic as long as the effort is put in our end and have found working with experienced members of staff just as rewarding. So why is it that this situation arises? Young or inexperienced HOD not wanting to be challenged by someone with more experience? Will someone with experience be perceived to eventually challenge for that HOD's role? I have never felt this to be the case in my dept but have had heard similar things in the past. Possible solution would be to meet the HOD first and if possible put forward your point of view, maybe you would never want to be a HOD and just want to teach, thats hard to get across on an application form.
    Good Luck either way.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

If it makes you feel better I'm not getting interviews either and I'm only on MPS3... x

3. I am in exactly the same situation, having applied for nearly 10 jobs now and not even been shortlisted for one. I guess the fact that I am currently in an independent school makes me even less employable.