1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cheap but nice areas to buy a home

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Eruditus, Aug 28, 2010.

1. So after Dogcats post has got me all depressed again I thought I would do a little homework and chances are there are people here with the knowledge to help.

So lets assume I'm just an ICT teacher, are there any in England that:

1. Have trouble finding qualified and experienced ICT Teachers.
    2. Have reasonably affordable housing in nice areas.

It would probably be the end semester before I started applying because I have some things to finish down here first, but it would not hurt to see what areas I should be looking at. I had hoped for a historical job analysis feature to help but TES does not seem to have one.

2. (TES does not like Chrome... what are they paying the webmonkeys)

3. West Yorks.
    lots of jobs last time I looked, beauuuuuuutiful stone houses with views. Very friendly people indeed (last time I visited a mobilised the angry post office queue into a mini riot!) and tons of hunky northern blokes with rough hands.
    get yourself up there, lass!

4. Where are you located at the moment? Might stop people suggesting where you already live!

5. I'd need to know what you consider nice and what you consider cheap.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

i have the hunky( well a little rounded) shape and rough hands......point me to the women who want such things lol

7. Nice means primarily a low crime area with good broadband speeds, somewhere with interesting scenery or a nearby coastline is a bonus.

Cheap would be a 1 bedroom apartment (not studio) to a 2 bedroomed house with parking for around 120k.

I'm currently based in the SE, if anyone suggests where I am living at the moment I would be shocked to say the least... I also retain a little anonymity or perhaps plausible deniability for posting.

West York's sounds good so far.

8. Well I won't even bother to show you all the properties I found here in SE [​IMG]

9. The East Coast is reasonably cheap.
    However...broadband could be a problem. I have the slowest connection ever!
    Freeview is also unavailacle in some places (so no Channel 5 either).
    On the other hand, the area is beautiful. And the coastline is stunning.

10. I did not mean to offend in any way, I purely meant the exact geographic location that I can be found in at this moment with a margin for error of say... 20 miles :)
    I would love to hear of somewhere in the SE that is actually has affordable homes and nice places to work (emphasis on the AND), easy access to London is sometimes useful.

11. There's no other ICT jobs (I assumed you meant UK!) or I'd find you more.

12. The other job is in Telford where you seem to get quite a choice but I have no idea what areas are good and bad beyond the pretty pictures so I couldn't really be sure.

13. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

You would get a one bedder for about 100K here in Plymouth but not so sure about getting work.

14. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Established commenter

Withernsea. It's by the sea, property is dirt cheap and ther are schools (for jobs)> it's a bit of an odd town but the beach is nice. Half an hour from Hull, lots of coast to explore and nice old ladies about the place. And it even has a Tesco now. In fact i don't know why I don't move there myself!

15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

if you are prepared for anhour commute down the M11 each day then try suffolk or cambs
    i suffolk i saw a reasonable 3 bedroomed property in Brandon for £170.000.....so cheaper ones are available

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Beverley is supposed to offer the best quality of life in the UK according to some survey - house prices, crime, location, jobs.
    I was doing supply in Bradford recently and that has really cheap house prices. But it's Bradford.
    Still plenty of cheap flats in Leeds. Because they built too many!!

17. Thank's everyone, I'll look at some of those this evening.
    Ideally Id like to keep my commutes to 30 minutes each way, 2 hours lost each day is too much for me.
    In the case of FlipFlop Im really surprised at those prices since that is far closer to london than I am at the moment... I would have expected things to cost even more there.

18. Has to be in England rather than UK Airy, I would of course love to live in Scotland but they do things differently up there... not sure if Id be what they are looking for with UK experience only.