1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'chav' in Spanish

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jestar, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Para mí un 'chav' sería, en español correcto 'un gamberro'. Un gamberro es el que hace actos vandálicos. Está esto de acuerdo con vuestra idea de 'chav'?

2. Real Academia Española. Gamberro: que comete actos de grosería o incivilidad.

3. tortuman

tortuman New commenter

Yo creo que no exactamente, porque ni todos los gamberros son chav ni todos los chavs son gamberros.

Un chav es algo así como un barriobajero, con un acento un poco macarrilla. No todos los chavs se dedican a hacer gamberradas, pero en general son muy materialistas y tienden a gastarse el dinero en toda la chatarra de última moda, cuanto más grande y brillante mejor. Aunque luego estén a la sopa boba el resto del mes.

Los gamberros en general suelen ser gente con mala leche que se dedican a fastidiar a los demás, pero pueden ser de buena familia, y con dinero. Los chavs en general son más autodestructivos que gamberros.

Pero de todos modos en la definición de chav no se pone de acuerdo ni Vicky Pollard.

4. Alana08

Alana08 New commenter

I believe that the French word for Chav is 'Un Wesh' which comes from some younf french people saying 'weh' instead of 'oui'. When I was teaching in a French school, the students explained to me (the ones that didnt consider themselves to be a 'chav') that they refer to those as 'les wesh'

5. un chorizo means a thief in Rioplatense!! Are you insinuating that our chave friends are ladrones??? hahaha

6. I've heard term 'Kinky' (I've never seen it written) used to describe chav-like teenagers, "Mi hermano es un poco kinky y fuma porros" or "es un kinky" you can imagine why it caught my attention the first time I heard it.

pp

7. I don't think chorizos or macarras are chavs. Those words mean thief.

Quinqui (not kinki) is the best option for chav http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinqui although where I grew up (Cadiz) we used to say majolillo to mean precesely to what , in my mind, refers to chav.

8. jolet

jolet New commenter

Killo or quillo, un "killu" in one of my many parts of the world, is used to refer to the teenager that is in the embrionary stages previously to becoming un "chorizo". However, all this labels vary considerably according to how close you live to this type of fauna. Some people may call somebody "Killo" because of the way they dress and their exterior appearance. The same as I am called "gitanita".

9. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

No idea about Spanish, but the French word for chav is 'cassos' (as in cas social) which refers to the poorer kind of chav! And 'racaille' is the word used more for their equivalent of people who wear Burberry caps and all the bling!

10. Hi:

I lived in Barcelona for three years and there are a few different ways of saying CHAV:

The Catalans generally referred to CHAVS as being Andalusian immigrants with tuned up cars, mullett style haircuts and a love of ecstasy and poor bakalao rave music:

'hortero'

'kinky'

Mark

11. Ponles Sabina y diles la verdad (si los otros teachers y el headteacher te dejan)

Una canción para el Jaro Macarra de ceñido pantalón

Pandillero tatuado y suburbial,

Hijo de la derrota y el alcohol,

Sobrino del dolor,

Primo hermano de la necesidad.

Tuviste por escuela una prisión,

Por maestra una mesa de billar,

Te lo montas de guapo y de matón.

De golfo y de ladrón

Y de darle al canuto cantidad.

Aún no tienes años pa votar

Y ya pasas del rollo de vivir.

Chorizo y delincuente habitual

Contra la propiedad

De los que no te dejan elegir.

Si al fondo del oscuro callejón

Un Bugatti te come la moral.

A punta de navaja y empujón

El coche vacilón

Va cambiando de dueño y de lugar.

Que no se mueva nadie -has ordenao-

Y van ya quince atracos en un mes.

Tu vieja apura el vino que has mercao

Y nunca ha preguntao:

¿De dónde sale todo este parné?

La pasma va pisándote el talón,

Hay bronca por donde quiera que vas,

Las chavalas del barrio sueñan con

Robarte el corazón

Si el sábado las llevas a bailar.

Una noche que andabas desarmao

La muerte en una esquina te esperó,

Te pegaron seis tiros descaraos

Y luego desangrao

Te ingresaron en el piramidón.

Pero antes de palmarla se te oyó

Decir: "Que demasiao,

De esta me sacan en televisión".

12. Hi,
    I am a native Spanish teacher. As far as I have seen during my time in England, you call "chavs" what in Spanish we call "cholos", "garrulos" or "quillos" (this last one was also suggested by someone else). Obviously, as well as in English, these words have got negative connotations and thus it is advisable not to use them in Spain as people may be offended.
    Hope this helps.
    Mar

13. fajardo

fajardo New commenter

I believe in Spain it will be" hortera" (for people) and "cutro" for things.
    In Mexico chav is deffinitely "naco".

14. @markgraydon I wonder if you would talk about Scottish immigrants or Welsh immigrants living in London... I didn't realise you could be an immigrant in your own country.

15. Sorry to go on, but I feel aggravated (I'm not the Spanish über alles type, by the way). 2 questions to MarkGraydon about his remark:

1) were ALL those driving tuned up cars and listening to bacalao Andalusian immigrants?
    2) are ALL Andalusians poor and uneducated? Or is it perhaps only those who emigrated?

Sorry 3 questions. I cheated.

MarkGraydon has clearly spotted the snobbism and sense of superiority rife among some Catalans (not all, I hasten to add), but he should now better than to pass on said snobbism as a given (although it may be in *his* experience).

Just to put things in perspective: When I was at uni I shared a house with a French lad and a Catalan lad. We got on really, really well. The Catalan lad said to me, an Andalusian, in jest, that in Catalonia they say Africa begins where the rest of Spain starts. The French lad looked at him puzzled and said: Well, in France, we say the Africa begins south of the Pyrenees. The Catalan lad was suitably shocked.

Also, a history teacher in my previous school was chatting to me at break about his holiday in Catalonia, he made a passing comment about Catalan nationalism. I remarked that some Catalans often express anti Spanish views, the main one being that they are somehow a "superior" society, to which he replied: "Dear boy (Yes, he really spoke like that), if they are a superior society, how come Catalonia is part of Spain... and not the other way round?"

No doubt there will be a few comments about this. I hope so! ;-)

16. Muy bien!!!!!

17. Totally agree with you asi - does mark-whatever think that everyone living in Andalucia is an immigrant/poor/uneducated? How rude! - He's prob never been there. I lived in Cadiz, totally loved every second there, and plan to move back as soon as I can - I also noticed there were no more immigrants/poor people, etc than you'd expect to see in any city. [​IMG]

18. I would hope that, increasingly, Spain is becoming a country in which the different nations within it are respected and, more importantly, respect each other.

@Sparkles.. you said you wanted to save lots of money... but you are a teacher.... aren't you? ;)

19. Why is markgraydon getting snippy comments for talking about "immigrants"?
    1. If that's the way the Catalans refer to people, that's a factual state of affairs. It's not the reporter's fault.
    2. A bit holier than thou some of the subsequent comments becasue the whole discussion (chavs) is about classifying a social group negatively. Why pick on mg's remark?
    3. In Scotland we refer to "immigrants" as incomers. That can be from other parts of Britain or other countries. That means people who bring a different culture with them.
    Question: Is it wrong to want to retain your own cultural identity in the face of and influx of groups from elsewhere? (And before you start I'm not talking about being actively nasty to these groups)

20. @Stormonth - Don't think you understood. My point was that markgraydon was passing on those remarks as his own, or, at least, appeared to be doing so by not distancing himself from them. He also appeared to be equating immigration with "chaviness"
    I understand that markgraydon is probably a perfectly nice person and probably does not have a negative about Andalusians himself. My remarks to him were merely a reaction to how his own remarks could be perceived. I am sure he understands that. Can you?

Holier than thou was certainly not the way I wished to come across - You seem to be the first commenter who has thought that. I was simply speaking as an aggrieved party, as I am both Andalusian and immigrant. If it makes you feel better, I am also guilty of having my own prejudices, many more than Mark possibly. The difference is I try to challenge them rather than air them without thinking, as he probably does normally as well.

Also, your question at the end is a platitude (Is it bad to hit children? Is it right to be racist?) and bears no connection to the original "snips" - it is based only on inferences you are making.