1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'chav' in Spanish

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jestar, Nov 17, 2006.

1. madcatlady

madcatlady New commenter

I think Vickie Pollard is the uber-chav.

Still no thoughts on beauf?

I made my oh take the chav test and he is 41% chav! Can anyone beat that?

2. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

I was 23% chav and then did one of the other quizzes on the same site and turned out to be 34% posh ! Well, I was born and brought up in Surrey....

3. madcatlady

madcatlady New commenter

Right, I'm off to do the posh one straight away!

4. madcatlady

madcatlady New commenter

35%, how disappointing. I think I will save finding out if I am a man eater until tomorrow.

5. Italian equivalent - or Roman one would be "quarto" (?Sp). Literally means one from the suburbs - which are mostly social housing like council housing. Generally to be found wearing the kind of bling mostly found on gay men in Soho. However these boys are straight...

6. Loving this discussion

What would "chav" be in French and German?

7. madcatlady

madcatlady New commenter

See my earlier post in the same thread, I think the french equivalent of chav is "beauf"

8. As Geekie quite rightly says, PIJO is the opposite of Chav. I have asked around and 'macarra'(masc and fem) could fit the bill.
    'Chorizo', from my time in Spain and my 15 years living with a Spaniard, refers to a petty crook, the type who ride along on mopeds and snatch your bag.
    However, I stand to be corrected - not having visited Spain for three or four years and no longer being with the Spaniard!

9. muchas gracias...thanks for all the feedback on this....i really want it to be 'chorizo'....because it's a word that the students already know, but i've learned a lot in these postings, and not just about spanish

10. I agree with the ones that said that pijo is the opposite of Chav.
    On the other hand chorizo means someone who steals, it could be applied to a petty crook or to a banker. You could complain of the use of money of politicians by saying 'son todos unos chorizos', basically they live off you.

The word that I find more similar to chav in Spain is 'macarra'. A macarra would not necessarily wear brand clothes, but like chavs you can tell them by the way they speak and behave, they speak in a very street-like way, and in general come from humble backgrounds (not necessarily a bad thing if you have manners).

The thing that amazes me from English chavs is that they still have that Englishness about them of saying excuse me and thank you every second word, something you wouldn't find in macarras.

11. If you look at the etymology of 'chav', one possibility is that it is derived from "chaval" which is widely used in Spain to mean "lad/made/bud". Stick to gamberro... hahha

12. Geekie

Tortuman - chavs down your way must be very different to the ones up here ! They woudn't know "excuse me" or "thank you" if it jumped up and bit them!

13. I've heard chavs saying "excuse me" and "thank you", but with an intonation that suggests to the listener that he/she is talking a load of rubbish and is completely "disrespected".

Have you noticed the falling intonation used by Catherine Tate's "Am I bovvered" character? I was listening to a group of kids on the bus the other day. They were all using it. This intonation pattern appears to becoming more widespread and replacing the "moronic interrogative" intonation that we imported via Australian soaps.

14. Geekie

That level of sophistication is obviously going to take a while to reach the NE!

15. chav in Spanish is "choni" is quite a new term, I think it comes from a TV character with lots of gold earrings, tracksuit, .... and a boyfriend with one of those dogs. It can be used for male and female.

The accent is also particular.... they would say "Ehcuela" instead of escuela, etc.

16. jolet

jolet New commenter

We used to call petty crooks and very, very, very "unrefined" males "chorizos".
    A "macarra" used to be the equivalent of a "pimp".
    "Chaval", "chavalico","chavalito" "chavalete", "chavala", "chavalica", "chavalita" is used in Spain to refer to young men and women and it does not have any negative connotations.

17. The words "bakala" "jicho" and "macarrilla" spring to mind.

18. Yo creo que el problema aquí es que cada uno es de su madre y de su padre, lingüísticamente hablando claro, porque yo lo de choni no lo había oído jamás. En Barcelona los chavs son killos (con k, que suena aún más killo), de toda la vida. Y "Que pasa neeeeennnn!!!" es su expresión más común, pero ya digo, aquí en Barcelona, en otros sitios de España ya no lo sé y en Sudamérica ni te cuento. ¿Nadie conoce al Nen, un personaje muy famoso de la tele española?, porque es el vivo retrato de lo que es un killo para nosotros.

19. Nen, completamente de acuerdo yo el choni no lo había oído jamás.
    Tobaira con lo de decir ehcuela en vez de escuela te refieres a que se comen la 's' o a que la dicen como una 'h aspirada'?
    Porque lo de pronunciar la 's' aspirada delante del sonido 'k' es un rasgo característico del acento madrileño y no de los macarrillas.