1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Chatty yr2 class

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by PotterGirl, Sep 28, 2018.

1. PotterGirl

PotterGirl New commenter

Looking for suggestions to manage a very chatty year 2 class. They just take every oppprtunity to talk, and as for indoor voices...nope!! I know they were considered a very well behaved class last year, and to be fair this is low level, but I just can’t seem to get to grips with it. Worried it will escalate if not dealt with soon.

2. Lalaland05

Lalaland05 New commenter

Hi

Have you tried stopping them everytime they get loud? Keep stopping them until they realise your serious.

3. ladylyra

ladylyra New commenter

How's it going, PotterGirl?

Are they chatty during work time or teaching time? Are they on task or just wasting their time? My y3 class were very chatty but they generally got on with the work and they knew not to talk during my input. The only time I asked for a silent class room right off the bat was for a writing task (after plenty of planning and discussing ideas) or for tests and assessments. I made it very clear that they had to be on task and working and if they weren't, they'd be working in silence. I used a noise meter to keep track of their warnings. Anyone who didn't get the message owed me time at break.

At the end of the lesson I'd get them all to bring me their open books so I could have a quick look. That way I could catch the occasional one who slips through and spent their entire lesson talking. They'd do it in their break or lunch too.

Don't forget simple things as well like standing them up if they're chatting in your input!

4. PotterGirl

PotterGirl New commenter

Hi ladylyra,

Thank you so much for the advice. It was getting better, then the Christmas madness kicked in, now I feel like we are back to square 1 :-( After a rough afternoon with my class today I am on here reviewing advice ready to go back tomorrow and try to tamp this out. Doesn't help that after a few days back I am drowning in additional paperwork and feel frazzled already...

x

5. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Two years ago I suggested using a sound meter with threshold levels that trigger warning signs. Nowadays there might be an ipad app that does that. Some children might take more notice, others might see it as a challenge to get a red warning light.

6. Chicken_madras

Chicken_madras Occasional commenter

Have you tried altering the seating arrangements? I had a chatty year 3 class and when they were all sat in s group they were worse. I altered the seating so desks were in different shapes and they were sat more or less beside each other instead of opposite so less chatting.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Take off ClassDojo points.

8. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Try silent reading sessions- particularly after a break. They don't need to be long but helps sets the tone- keep persisting and set reducing talk and noise as a class target. Talk about noise pollution and improving an environment.

Alice K likes this.
  9. Piscean1

Piscean1 Occasional commenter

I start with a settling activity after break and lunch to set the tone. Handwriting after play and times tables after lunch.

At the start of the year, they were way too chatty so I sat them in rows until they got it. I hate rows but it worked.

Clear consequences carried through have the most impact. I use a blurt box whereby if they talk out of turn, they write their name on a post it and put it in the blurt box. Each post it is a minute off their playtime individually.

In some lessons (especially if we're painting or something that generally makes them a bit loud!) I also use relaxing music to set an appropriate volume. If they can't hear the music, they are too loud. Each time I have to stop them is a strike. 5 strikes and we work in silence. Anybody talks and it's a straight card and 5 minutes off their playtime. It only takes one kid to get a card and the rest fall in line.