1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chatty Year 11s

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by tcoll123, Sep 30, 2015.

1. tcoll123

tcoll123 New commenter

I have a very chatty middle-low ability Year 11 class, who I struggle to keep quiet when I'm talking to them. If they're not chatty or giggly they'll be shouting out answers - no matter how often I reprimand them for not putting their hands up - and this can lead to a bit of chaos.

Despite this, they have plenty of enthusiasm and the work and homework they produce is generally at a level you'd expect of them, and sometimes above. But the chattiness slows things down and I think we could me doing more. I'm thinking that activities with less teacher-talk is the key - something with written instructions, perhaps - but I worry that this will de-motivate- especially the least able who might struggle with focussing on a task they haven't had any verbal input with.

So, does anyone have any ideas of types of activities I can set which might focus enthusiasm, require less talking from me and suit low level learners?

Thanks!