1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chatty classes on supply!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by spl5fm, Jan 12, 2012.

1. So far on my (very limited) experience on supply, I've noticed that the classes I've had are very chatty and rather loud. I'm aware that children like to test out the boundaries for supply teachers!

But I'm usually one of those people who doesn't mind the noise in a classroom as it's usually work-related, however some children find it hard to concentrate.

So how do I keep the noise level at a reasonable level for all?

I have tried music, rewarding children and other strategies but is there a fool-proof method that I'm just missing that doesn't resort to a total-silence rule?

Btw, how do you format posts so that all the writing doesn't show up all clumped together?!

2. So far on my (very limited) experience on supply, I've noticed that the classes I've had are very chatty and rather loud. I'm aware that children like to test out the boundaries for supply teachers!

But I'm usually one of those people who doesn't mind the noise in a classroom as it's usually work-related, however some children find it hard to concentrate.

So how do I keep the noise level at a reasonable level for all?

I have tried music, rewarding children and other strategies but is there a fool-proof method that I'm just missing that doesn't resort to a total-silence rule?

Btw, how do you format posts so that all the writing doesn't show up all clumped together?!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Googlechrome does that ! Something like< and > at the end of a paragraph try doing a search on formatting paragraphs here as this crops up regularly.

4. moleylong

moleylong New commenter

You have to put p in pointy arrows <> at the start and /p in the arrows again at the end of each paragraph.

I had a really chatty class today but the TA said they're not used to supply and she was off this morning too which didn't help... The one other class I've had were fine from day one so I guess it just depends on the general behaviour of the class and how much they're willing to try to push you!