1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chatty class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pocoyo, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Pointing out the positve behaviour always works for me. Stickers are a godsend. Spot someone doing the right thing and give them a sticker. The rest will stop talking in hope for a sticker. (Make sure you have some good stickers that they all really want.) My class are quite competative and i use this by saying who can do it the quietest (e.g.when they are walking to their tables). I have manged to get them to do it in absoluet silence and the quiest table wins a sticker each. My class are very loud and I have only had my class since Easter also so I know how you feel.
    xxx

2. By the way ...just a tip that I have found works with even the biggest challenging class....when they do partner talk, when you want them to stop put your hands on your head. Say nothing to them. Just wait and they will all spot you and tell each other to stop and put their hands on their head. It works every time for me. I feel if i start talking over the top of their noise it causes them to talk even louder over me.
    Singing is also an effective way of capturing attention. Sing their names. It seems to engage their attention better than speech and it creates a nice positive atmosphere.
    Ofocurse this depends on the Year of your class.
    xx

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

large gob stoppers which open and clamp their mouth together for at least 30 mins? lol

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Year 6... So not sure singing will work. Generally if I count down, they get there, but it's just stopping this chatting in the middle of inputs that I want to minimize so we can get it done and get on with stuff! And it's not like i'm being mean and not letting them talk at all as I am!!

5. Oh lol yeah they might just laugh at you! lol
    I have Year 1. I never venture into Junior so I'm not too sure which strategies would be effective. Sorry. I hope you get some good advice. xxx