1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chasing LA

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by susanrk, Apr 27, 2019.

1. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

I'm retiring in the summer and have been chasing the LA for missing years etc on the TPS website. They still haven't sorted it. I work in 2 schools so have to fill in paper forms rather than online to sort out my pension. Should I wait for the correct service to be on the website or send the paperwork in now?

2. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

Tricky!

As it takes months for them to work through the process I'd get started that way you'll get something, making sure you note somewhere on the forms about the incorrect figures. If there's a part to sign saying you've checked the figures are correct then I guess you'll have to wait for them to be corrected.

As you're still working and presumably still in a union get them involved. Limited experience of this myself but a union rep making noises about additional stress and potential compensation if the issue is not resolved promptly may help things progress. If you have payslips from the period in question that would be good, but only the LA (or whoever is in charge of the payroll) can make the changes - TPS won't get involved.

Anyone reading this should probably check their own service records as well as it can take a long time to sort out. Our own error is miniscule but we worked at the same school all the way through so you wouldn't think there'd be any problems but we found a period of 5 days where our pay is listed at the pro-rata rate rather than the FTE - it's been nearly 2 years without being rectified (and it'll make no difference as it affects the final salary pension part where only the number of days worked is important).

fes9 and PeterQuint like this.
  3. fariduddin

fariduddin New commenter

I had been emailing our pensions dept for over 6 months to update my contributions ahead of applying for phased retirement. There was no response to numerous requests. I then contacted the NAHT who gave me a template letter to use which was fab. I sent ot to the top person (Director of Education) in the LA setting out details including desired outcome. The matter was sorted within a few days. In the letter I included a chronology of all the times I had got in touch and the lack of response. It also mentioned points such as 'Having given dedicated service to education for 32 years, incuding x years in this LA it has been extremely disappointing to be let down...'

Piranha likes this.
  4. susanrk

Thank you so much. I hadn't even thought of involving the union. Will do so.

5. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

I would echo that about the union.

The only reason the job if checking your pension details us way down their list is that they are busy with other things, and you soon won’t even be working for them anymore.

A letter from the union telling them they’ll be held legally responsible if the pension isn’t sorted on time would push your job up the list.

It’s not Wakefield is it?

6. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

My missing service from when I worked in Leicestershire was reinstated by them after about 3 months. That was a while ago before austerity stripped County Halls of many employees.

I would have thought that given your retirement is imminent that you should be a priority. Keep on at them.

This also shows the importance of checking your service details years ahead of retirement to ensure that it is all there when the time comes!

I always feel for those colleagues who worked in ILEA in the 70s/80s who have missing service and no way of getting it back - what with ILEA abolished and records lost. A scandal.

7. PeterQuint

Has anyone actually lost pension by this?

By which I mean, have they actually retired, found some of their service missing, and received a permanently reduced pension because of it?

The records may have been lost, but surely it's someone's responsibility to cover it. And surely your tax/NI records could confirm you worked there, and that would include details of the income you weren't taxed on, as it was paid into your pension, and subsequently non-taxable. This could be calculated by a quick check on the NI you paid.

8. paulstjohn2014

paulstjohn2014 Occasional commenter

I have always kept every payslip I have ever received when teaching. These clearly show how much was deducted for TPS payments. Even now when teaching part-time after returning to the profession after a 'short retirement' I download every electronic payslip, as paying into new career average scheme. I worked for ILEA from 1981 to 1986 but fortunately my was employment record was up to date. In any case I had those payslips to prove it. Still do!

Startedin82 likes this.
  9. Startedin82

There were some threads on this (ILEA missing pension) a few years ago. The records had been destroyed (ILEA was abolished in 1990) and where someone could not show that they had paid into their pension they were unable to claim for those years. I think some teachers had 10 years or so missing. I doubt tax records would cut it.

10. susanrk

Thank you for your comments. It's Essex I work for and strangely the bulk of missing time is quite recent!

Startedin82 and PeterQuint like this.
  11. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I had to get the Union involved as I had been deducted a year when the school I worked at ...for 25 years..became an academy. The necessary paper work had not been done at the time, obviously, although nobody admitted any error. This delayed the process by nearly 6 weeks, good job I had given them a term to sort it . If it happened to me , when I was still working at the school and had been part of the furniture for so long, it can happen to anyone. Get the Union involved. Mine was very supportive and put rockets up the appropriate fundaments!

Startedin82 and PeterQuint like this.
  12. PeterQuint

Cheers.

I’d be amazed if tax records didn’t cut it. A legal disputes like this would be settled on the balance of probabilities.

If you could show you worked their, could show what you earned via the tax office & NI payments, and could show the amount of IT paid matched exactly with the tax allowance you’d get for the pension payment you would have made, I can’t see any court deciding you probably hadn’t paid in.

Startedin82 likes this.
  13. Startedin82

I'm not sure what the resolution was for these people (if any) but some seemed to have tried everything. One of the problems they had is they couldn't find the appropriate pay slips (or any pay slips) which would have provided proof beyond doubt.

So the moral of the story is...…!

PeterQuint likes this.
  14. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

And presumably HMRC still have your P60 details for every year you have worked. We know DWP hold them ever since NI began in 1948 or they wouldn't be able to calculate entitlement to state pension.

PeterQuint likes this.
  15. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I think the P60 shows pay after pension contributions, as the contributions themselves are excluded from tax calculations. Does anybody know if the employer reports the gross salary and the pension contributions, or just the pay after contributions? If the latter, then the tax people may not be able to help.

I used to wonder why Mrs P kept every pay slip either of us received from when we first married. Now I know that it was a sensible precaution.

PeterQuint and Startedin82 like this.
  16. otters258

otters258 New commenter

You say that the missing days are quite recent and that you work in 2 schools. This could be the reason. I have recently moved to 2 part time contracts which add up to a full one, all in the same school. I noticed I had a few missing days recently and my LA were excellent when I chased it last week. Basically because on each PT contract I am paid less I pay less pension contributions that I would do on a FT one. As leadership the latter would be 11.3%. Basically am getting paid more now (have 4 terms left) but will be some days short in my final pension. Hope this makes sense!

17. susanrk

I've now involved the union and sent the LA a strongly worded email myself too. If, as I fear, the delay continues and my pension isn't ready for September will it be backdated?

18. mkl

mkl New commenter

I am also having problems with some part of my employment history. Unfortunately my pay slips which I have suggested to show seem to be no use at all. I have been put on an interim pension since last September and hope it will all be adjusted in time... Perhaps I should also involve my union (I am re-employed and so still a member).

19. susanrk

I've finally had most of the missing time added. Not quite there yet but it looks as if the LA instantaneously updates the TPS records which is great.

Piranha and PeterQuint like this.
  20. PeterQuint

Amazing how quickly they respond when they get a threatening communication.