1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chartered Teachers and McCormac

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Dominie, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

They don't give a stuff. They have 5 years of mandate after an election in which teachers/education played no significant role despite being hung out to dry by COSLA and the SG.

2. They should be reimbursed every penny. I'd be astounded at the audacity of the government if they were not.

3. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

and what about the 1000s of hours of extra work -all done in good faith?
    the unions will need to be very strong to fight the legal, if need be fight on this one

4. Do you reckon they will be able to take back increments already given? I worked really hard for mine as I'm sure everyone did!

5. I had a feeling that this was coming. Surely it's only fair that the salary is conserved? (Although I do know that life isn't fair!)

6. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

i believe that the unions need to fight for the salary to be assimilated

7. Absolutely - the unions should fight for this, however they didn't fight for PT conserved salaries to be kept. I stand to lose mine in a couple of years time. However former APTs and former Senior teachers were allowed to keep their salaries. (Quite rightly too). So we are back to the old divide and conquer. Why should any groups of teachers stand to lose any part of their salary which was hard earned and promised to them. If all teachers were asked to take a very small pay cut - that would be equitable but that didn't happen. Supply teachers in particular have been very hard hit. But no other groups of teachers stand to lose huge chunks of their salary. I certainly don't know what the answer is .......

8. lookinglost

lookinglost New commenter

"Recommendation 20: Skills gained in achieving chartered teacher
    status should be harnessed and negotiations through the Scottish
    Negotiating Committee for Teachers (SNCT) should ensure that credit
    is given for completed modules"
    So what does that mean? Will it mean that you get a sticker if your a CT? Or will it mean they won't take the extra cash for already qualified CTs?

9. sbf

sbf New commenter

What can the unions do?
    You can hardly expect ordinary classroom teacher to go out on strike for CTs can you!
    Loose pay and pensions so a CT can have more money. Not going to happen is it.

10. Do you not think ordinary classroom teachers are affected by the rest of the review? I'd suggest having a good read through it if you think Chartered Teachers are the only victims.

11. sbf

sbf New commenter

2 points.

1. I have read the review, why you imply that i havent is anybodys guess.
    2. The Title of this thread is CTs and McCormac.
    Seems to me that my point is aimed at the CT aspect.
    Clearly the majority of the review affects ordinary teachers.
    I think my point was clear that its not worth striking so that CTs can keep their salary.
    It might be worth striking so that ALL teachers have enough time to teach and we are treated as professionals and not replaced by "a n other" non GTCS reg person.
    I will strike over the pension issues, unfortunatly i dont see why the EIS are making an issue of it right now when the SNP has been pretty slient on the issue other than a few murmerings that they dont agree with it.
    But thats another story.
    Its all go in Scottish education right now.

12. If more CTs were more high profile in schools and their work more widely seen or appreciated, then people might have enough depth of feeling to strike for this. However as CTs have no more compulsory remit than any other class teacher and many teachers feel that they are doing the same job as a CT and being paid a good deal less. Most of my friends are teachers (primary and secondary) and there does not seem to be a great deal of support anywhere for CTs, sadly.

13. And I thought mine was pretty clear that there it might not be worth striking over just one recommendation but when you look at the whole thing...I don't think you can take the abolition of CT in isolation, and that's aside from the fact that many ordinary classroom teachers saw it as a possible route for progression and so might indeed contemplate striking over it.

14. I made a life choice to go down this route and not look for promotion out of the classroom, and other teachers moved on and became PT subject or PT Guidance
    I spent upwards of £10000 which I didnt have and spent many nights weekends and holidays working towards the Masters degree. I am now at the top of the pay scale.
    Personally it will have a major impact on my family should the salary be taken away from me.
    I am sure others will be the same !

15. sbf

sbf New commenter

Im sure its going to be a big kick in the teeth as it was for PTs on conserved salaries.

16. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

Thank Ronnie - the decision in March was, as I predicted, the starting point for the fragmentation and in-fighting that has followed. Already hearing staff saying, 'Why should I strike to protect the pension of those who voted for a pay cut for me!' Pretty impossible to counter as those losing 20-47% of their salary lose a lot less in increased pension payments and can't afford a day off.

17. It's not Ronnie's fault. Ronnie isn't the union. The failure of solidarity, and the current dire consequences of that failure, can be laid at the door of every teacher who either voted for that despicable contract proposal or didn't care enough to vote against it. We brought this on ourselves, folks.

18. Well said CG. If we don't stick together we are easy pickings.

19. I'm a CT at the top of the scale. I didn't go through the GTCS route- the cheaper option: I did the M.Ed through Aberdeen University. My HT interviewed me along with the other ST/APT's back in 2003- and I did the qualification with his moral support.
    I work for Highland- and regional HQ knew what I was doing- I have worked as an Associate Tutor with the Highland/Aberdeen Uni partnership, and am a subject supporter- along with other CT's doing this for their subject. Our regional CPD co-ordinator is a CT.
    None of us are in management. Instead we have a regional support role- working to implement CfE
    I was interviewed by the Donaldson review- and told I was doing a lot that was worthwhile.
    Callme naive but I assumed that all the regions were working along these lines- and this way we do make a difference.
    the fault lies, dear Brutus not in ourselves- but in how we were used.
    I earn every penny of my CT6 pay- if I lose it, I'll need to seriously reconsider my options- and as I'm also a carer for an old parent with serious health issues, it will affect my family and my wellbeing- and I take from the tone of the forum that this could be the case nationwide. Between loss of PT conservation and the ending of the CT programme our masters have not only saved money- they have taken away any attraction that teaching as a job ever held