1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Charlie cat hasn't come home

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ilando, Jul 3, 2011.

1. I know this place is full of cat lovers :)

My beautiful two year old moggy hasn't come home since disappearing from my back garden on Wednesday. He never usually goes further than the garden. I've given leaflets out to thirty houses by me but I'm not sure there is anything else I can do.

Please can someone reassure me that it is possible that he may come home. And can you keep any sad stories to yourself- when I told a friend Charlie was missing, she then launched into stories about cats being run over or returning home to die after being injured. Didn't exactly cheer me up!

2. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Has charlie been neutered? I understand that if a male cat hasn't been "done" then they will have a tendency to travel further afield.

3. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

So sorry to hear Charlie is missing.......will send out lots and lots of hope vibes that he comes back soon xxx

4. Yes he has had the snip and is microchipped.

Just really miss him :(

5. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I don't have a cat anymore (too many sad stories), but if I did then I would have a walk around my area and see if I could spot him, I'd also have a look around any disused areas, he may have found somewhere pleasant to sun himself.

6. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

My cat (also named Charlie) sadly died a few weeks ago and I'm devastated.
    However, when he was about a 18months old, he went out one Monday night and didn't reappear. He didn't come home the following morning before work, nor did he return when my parents popped round in the day to call for him.
    He was missing for a total of four nights. On the Friday after work, I went out leafleting houses nearby, when a lady came out and told me she'd been seeing him the past 2 nights coming into her garden at about 8pm.
    That night, I went back, cat box in hand, to her garden to call for him. We shouted for about half an hour but he didn't come.
    We went home and, as we were pulling up outside the house, we saw him. He was injured, but he was alive and obviously determined to get himself home to his mama (excuse the triteness, but that's what I was). He dragged himself across the gardens to the front door where he finally let me pick him up in his blanket. We got him promptly to the emergency vet where his broken leg/ankle was put in a temporary cast and he was give pain medication.
    The next day, he went to our own vets and was admitted for surgery on his hip and leg. He spent 6 weeks living in a cage in the living to allow time for the bones to set and heal without him moving too much.
    He went on to live a very happy life. He was the most loving and affectionate cat I can ever imagine existing and, in a strange way, his 'accident' brought him closer to me because he was forced to be inside for many months until I felt confident he could jump with ease.
    I hope your cat returns in one piece. Don't give up hope just yet.
    I know how you are feeling. Please do let us know what happens.
    Much love
    Eva x x x

7. It's been lovely weather and you know what b.uggers they are for disappearing. It is a horrible feeling but there really is every chance that he will saunter in soon.
    X

8. Thanks everyone for your support. It really is like losing a member of my family.

9. Yes. it really is.
    X

10. I also have a problem with Charlie's brother. He is refusing to eat since Charlie went. I managed to get him to eat some chicken on Friday but he hasn't eaten since. I know he won't starve but I'm wondering how long I should let this carry on for before taking him to the vets. Not that the vet could do anything but it might make me feel better.

11. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

Our cat refused to move house with us a few years ago. We tried everything and ended up wrapping him in a towel. We managed to keep him for 2 days and then he ran away on bonfire night. We thought the jig was up. There were a few sightings but nothing concrete - the new owners of our old house thought they'd seen him but weren't sure.
    Anyhoo . . . . . .
    11 months later he followed my partner back from the pub. Bold as brass, right as rain!
    Nowadays he puts the fear into everyone who looks after our house when we go away cos he takes off after a day and doesn't come come back for at least 5 days after our return.
    They do, and can, come back!
    Good luck to you with Charlie cat.
    xxx

12. He may have got himself shut in someone's shed - I expect you asked people to check their sheds on your leaflets.
    I know what it's like when they go missing - my indoor cat was missing for over a week, she had totally lost her bearings and it turns out she was hiding out in a garden less than 50 yeards from us. Many years ago one of mine was missing for over 2 weeks - we found him too. Another wanderer returned after several days, straggly and hungry. There is hope, definitely, so chin up.
    I'm with you and gorgy on them being a member of the family - they are so lovely, but can be such a worry.
    Now, I'll probably be ridiculed for this, but a few years ago I read a book about cats having a kind of psychic link with their owner. There was a chapter regarding lost cats, where it said that you should really concentrate on your cat and visualise the area around your house, almost as though you were telepathically sending him a map home.
    I'll be thinking of you and Charlie - he'll most likely stroll in sometime soon, and give you that look as if to say 'What's all the fuss about? Where's my tea?'

13. I also read somewhere that putting an item of clothing with your smell on it, or one of the cat's blankets near to your garden might help a disorientated cat find his way home.

14. Thanks Teddy- I had also heard that so since Thursday my garden has been covered with cat blankets!

15. Take care and try not to worry too much - although I know it is so very hard not to. Couldn't concentrate on anything when mine went AWOL.
    Also, it's only natural that his brother is out of sorts - Bach Rescue Remedy might help steady him a little. x

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

So sorry to hear about Charlie, Ilando . . . . .. it's horrible when they disappear . . . have you tried putting posters (with photo works best) up in local shops etc? Have you phoned all the local vets, animal rehoming centres, cats protection league etc? Walk/cycle round your area and shout him loudly and talk to people too, ask if they have seen him?
    If this is highly unusual behaviour from your cat chances are he is fairly close by, but trapped somewhere - shed, garage etc. Summer is obviously the time of year for it.
    You can also contact www.animalsearchuk.co.uk
    Good luck and please let us know what happens. Fingers crossed.

17. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Cats are not worshipped as they should be.
    I hope he returns soon.

18. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Agree wholeheartedly. Cats are so special.

19. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I totally agree. I can't help but feel that those who say they dislike cats have obviously never known the pleasure of curling up with a good book, cat purring on lap, and a cup of tea in hand. Nothing nicer.

20. Just got back from putting another 30 posters through doors. Been shouting his name and rattling the treat jar.