1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: too old for Y3?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lilybett, Mar 18, 2012.

1. If so, any other suggestions? Want a text about chocolate as a prompt for information text-writing...
    Thank you x

2. If so, any other suggestions? Want a text about chocolate as a prompt for information text-writing...
    Thank you x

3. I've read it to a very capable Y2/3 class before as a class reader, was a bit worried about if it might be too old, but they were utterly captivated by it.
    I still have childhood memories myself of desperately wanting to go swimming in that chocolate river.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

5. Hey, thanks for that, Mr. Flibble. Good to know they might well be fine with it, and can always just use it to get them thinking chocolatey and stop when Charlie finds the ticket if they're bored of it.
    My class are completely obsessed with the Learning Zone videos haha! Great idea, I never really think to use them for English x

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I've also used it with Y2 and they loved it.

7. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Sounds like an almost perfect text to me - go for it! Read it with as much drama as you can manage and they will be transported.

8. No! I used the text/film for year 1 obviously not in depth, just as a stimulus. We made golden tickets, wrapped them around chocolate etc and gave them to staff and those who found the golden ticket could come to our chocolate tasing party etc Obviously planted one for the head to find.

9. They bloody love it! :D

10. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

11. TreesK

TreesK New commenter

It's perfect for Y3 !
    Quite long though, and it's a good long time in the book before he goes to the chocolate factory (though there's lots of talk about it, fabulous build-up and all that) . So not if you want something quick and chocolatey before Easter.
    There's The Chocolate Wedding by Posy Simmonds...

12. Oh, great resource, thank you! Hope I can shoehorn that in before Easter!
    x

13. I will investigate this, thank you! x

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm going off you Lilybett! You make too much work for me!

I'm going to finish Titanic this week, was sort of thing about doing so anyway we've done all that we can more or less, and going to do choccie next week. I was going to be a good church school teacher and do Easter, but think it might have to be choccie instead!

Soooo maths bar charts of choccies in my boxes. Symmetrical easter egg wrappers. Direction and grid for Easter egg hunt.

What about literacy? Like the idea of golden tickets for a choccie tasting, but what LOs would it cover? (yes this does matter in my school!)

What else?

15. Ha ha ha I teach in a CoE school, too. [​IMG]
    Hmmmmmmm well. Happily, we mixed things up a bit so we have just finished Myths & Legends (thank Jesus, Allah and Buddah) and now it's Information Texts. So we're doing leaflets about choccie, tying into D&T (design Easter egg box). Then it's a persuasive letter, heh. Haven't ENTIRELY decided what to do here. But we're having a bit thing about environmental stuff in school, and choccie fits with Science topic of plant growth, so thinking maybe a letter to a local supermarket badgering them to stock more fairtrade stuff..?
    What would you be doing in Literacy if it weren't for Chocofest?
    Haha, actually, I whipped mine into a frenzy today just by telling them we were doing Chocoliteracy. Love it! xx

16. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

You could also tie in with Fair Trade, as fair trade fortnight has just finished...(as I would be doing if I wasn't at home poorly...)

17. Changed this around slightly today: decided the leaflet would just be on chocolate buttons. Things are frantic in school due to various end-of-term-y things and we have barely got started on the D&T, really, as it's supposed to be more of a project for next week. So by just making it about choccie buttons, I figured I'd take out the 'WHAT WILL I WRITE ABOUT?!' factor so all they had to think about was making the writing GOOD. Cute how letting one chocolate button (giant - I'm not a total ogre) melt on their tongue got them so excited. Had a massive clamp-down on writing targets, with HAs aiming for L4 descriptors and got some nice stuff out of them. Even my 1cs managed 'These buttons are yummy scrummy. You should buy them. Phone number 01234 567890' etc. <-- Full stops, capital letters, varied sentence openers = happiness!!!!! [​IMG]
    Hope your day was only made naff by transient irritations (like parents, ha) xx

18. Chocolate Fever by Robert Kimmel Smith.