1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Musical rights

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by beckiejane, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Does anyone know if the rights for a musical version of ***** Wonka / Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are available in the UK yet? I think it would make a fantastic school production but can't find the UK rights. However, a school in Norfolk performed Charlie in March this year. Unless it was an illegal performance, I assume they got the rights from somewhere. (I have contacted them to ask for assistance, but haven't heard from them yet).
    I have contacted MTI who hold the rights in the USA, but waiting to hear back too. Any ideas anyone?

2. I enquired about this recently too. Apparently it is out of license at the moment due to a pending professional project.

3. Perhaps you could write a stpry based upon a gorl who recieves a winning ticket to go to a chocolate factory / sweetie factory? whic is then owned by a slightly eccentric inventor?>
    If you accredit some of the ideas to that of ***** wonka you would be ok???

just a thought? might be nice for music gcse students to create the music as part of their gcse creative task???
    hopefully profit=profit then??

4. Funny you should mention this Beckiejane,
    I just heard today that they will be making a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory the musical at the London Palladium next summer, which must means the rights are avaliable in the UK? You could always write to the producers of the UK show and ask them how and where to obtain the rights? They are usually very helpful, I once wrote to the producers of The Wizard of Oz for information on amateur performances of the show and they sent me some really useful advice!

What a great show though, I hope you get to put it on! With 'Chocolate' in the title, no doubt it will go down a storm with your school! I can't wait to see the London show, although I'm sure watching the subject matter on stage along with what I can imagine the merchandise will be, the show will not be any good for my thighs!

[​IMG]

5. See Post 2 - it's because of this professional production that the amateur rights have been withdrawn.