1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Charles at 70

Discussion in 'Personal' started by stopwatch, Nov 10, 2018.

?

What do you think of our future King?

1. I think he is a great bloke

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. I think he is a good bloke

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. I think he is OK

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. I don't have any feelings either way

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  5. I don't particularly like him

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. I can't stand him

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I watched this documentary all the way through. He's a good bloke. His sons are decent too.

If we try to take away our individual thoughts on the Royals as an institution, what do you think of him/them as individuals? or is it impossible to separate the two things?

2. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I like him and I'm not a Royalist (but not anti-Royalist either). The work he has done via the Prince's Trust is very commendable.

I used to like Harry too, until he decided to get married on a Saturday meaning we didn't get an extra day off. ;)

freckle06 and Northern_Miss like this.
  3. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Senior commenter

I agree that the Prince's Trust has done some excellent work. I find him a little irritating, but that may just be the way he is portrayed in the media.

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I like him and I thought he came over very well in the programme. I like his sons too …. although when did William turn into Prince Edward?

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I really enjoyed the fact that Prince Charles met singer Cheryl earlier this year and made the press for saying that he struggled to keep up with her name, finally settling for "Tweedy" even though he was several years too late.

"I can't keep up with all the changes of name!" said His Royal Highness Prince Charles Philip Arthur George, Prince of Wales, KG, KT, GCB, OM, AK, QSO, CC, PC, ADC, Earl of Chester, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles and Prince and Great Steward of Scotland.

FrankWolley, Dragonlady30 and nomad like this.
  6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

He came across as intelligent, caring and funny.
    I think the press has been unkind over the years........not really his fault he was forced to marry an unsuitable bride............but he does come across as genuine and sensitive.
    I enjoyed the programme.

nomad and peter12171 like this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I liked him on the programme more than I thought I would.

I think he's done very well considering his whole purpose in life as presented to him has been pretty much "just wait, then you'll be able to do something", for 70 years and counting! 5 years past retirement age. He didn't just start his projects on his own, it would have been interesting to hear how they got going.

8. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I was impressed that he was giving speeches about the dangers of plastic to the environment in 1970!

I remember being disappointed when he married Diana - I remember discussing it with a friend and saying that I had wished he had married a more independent woman his own age with a mind of her own.

JosieWhitehead and BelleDuJour like this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Heir on a G String

[​IMG]

nomad likes this.
  10. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

You’re all crawlers.

11. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Quite Right.

And after HRH has uttered those words "Arise Sir Lespaul" to me I shall expect you to "doff your cap" when I pass Red :p:p

JosieWhitehead and red_observer like this.
  12. red_observer

Didn’t actually have you down as first up against the wall @les25paul but I will put in a word for you to the comrades...;):D:D

les25paul likes this.
  13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

14. red_observer

15. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I've never been able to warm to him, but maybe if I'd watched the programme my impression may have shifted a bit.

16. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

17. stopwatch

Somebody complained

18. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Very prescient of him - she's gone back to calling herself Cheryl Tweedy!

19. stopwatch

Not really

20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

@stopwatch
    Well I highly doubt it was r_o. We might have even less in common than Mother Teresa and Stormy Daniels but he is perfectly capable of responding without exploding or sobbing.
    No, it's the use of any device of writing that involves the analogy of violence. "I could kill him!", "He's for the chop!", "I'm just killing time", "I could murder a pint" - all about to hit the bin of prissiness.
    Hyperbole and exaggeration for comic effect goes right over the head of people who can only read the literal or who are terrified of litigation.