1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Charity dilemma...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Greenmango_, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Greenmango_

Greenmango_ New commenter

New head at school has taken upon himself to choose the charity for the next non-uniform day. I think it has a connection with one of his friends but could be a devisive topic amongst both parents and staff and bears no relevance to children, young people, our school, the local community or the students. He’s also sending passive-aggressive emails to staff regarding supporting the non-uniform day activities he has set up to raise money (presumably we are expected to find sponsors).
    I don’t usually put my views forward to SLT, current climate at school is shocking and keeping a low profile has seemed best policy. However, I feel so strongly that the students should have input into the charity that they will be donating to, they’ve always chosen in the past and it’s so motivating. Do I speak out? Any advice gratefully accepted.

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

From a moral position - Yes

From a selfish but pragmatic position, which keeps you off the 'radar' - No

Only you can decide how important an issue this is...

Maybe some pupils could be 'prompted' to deliver such sentiments to the HT instead...?

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

No, leave it. If parents or children do feel strongly, let them take it up. Keep right out of it.

4. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

"No relevance to children, young people, our school, the local community, or the students."

It must be a pretty obscure charity.

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Agree with post #2.

I'd certainly refuse to get sponsors personally - I stopped doing that when I left school - and, if asked, say that I like to choose the charities to which I contribute, thanks.

PS Maybe your staff governors should bring this up at the next governors meeting?

6. Greenmango_

It’s armed forces-related. You could argue it is relevant but I think what’s riling me is the fact that he has chosen it, without considering our students or the local community, which is indicative of his management style.

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A charity is a charity and funds raised will go to a good cause whether you espouse it or not.

The new head is possibility in a position for the first time to direct the collection of charitable funds. He can't (really) choose the same charity a second time.

Leave it this time. Perhaps in the future suggest that the decision should lie with the School Council.

8. Greenmango_

Thanks Nomad, sound advice. It has made me realise though that students are becoming gradually less involved. We currently have no Student Council or any means of contribution.

pepper5 and nomad like this.
  9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Maybe concentrate your efforts in this direction then...:)

10. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

How do you know he hasn't considered the students or local community? It sounds positive that the new head has chosen to become involved in the non-uniform days and has picked a charity that is close to his heart - perhaps it would help if he held a school assembly to raise awareness of the charity?

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Good call. A school council will directly address Ofsted requirements on British Values, SMSC & Prevent. Here's an opportunity to find yourself a good niche with the blessing of the new HT.

There is a wealth of information and resources on the internet. Just Google.

Maybe get the HT to spend some cash on setting it up. http://home.smartschoolcouncils.org.uk/

12. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

My LA would definitely disagree with you that an armed forces charity "bears no relevance to the local community" - Help for Heroes is their chosen Council charity for this year. I suspect many people in your local community would disagree with you too.

Where do you think members of the armed forces come from? Where do the children of armed forces members go to school? Where do injured and disabled veterans live? Your local community perhaps?

Perhaps the head will involve the pupils so that they see the relevance to them?

13. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Why the change of name, Pomz err ... Pomza?

o_O

14. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Since I learned there is a direct correlation between ones overall satisfaction with the business of existence and the volume of vowel sounds in ones name...;)

15. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Yeah, right.

16. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

You're packing a whole heap of vowels there - You wouldn't understand what it's like go without...

sabrinakat likes this.
  17. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Help for Heroes. Combat Stress. The Royal British legion. SSASFA. The Royal Marines Charity. The Chelsea Pensioners.
    All worthwhile charities. Some of them do talks for schools. Perhaps this could be arranged.
    Better keep schtum rather than risking slagging off any of these charities. You'd be surprised the amount of people who had a relative/friend who was injured or killed in Afghanistan, Iraq and even northern Ireland and the Falklands.

Psychochick and monicabilongame like this.
  18. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 Occasional commenter

Armed forces will never see a penny from me.

Anyone who donates to this has blood on their hands. How can one legitimatise murder?

Armed forces charities are another's way of taking the burden of MoD.

-myrtille- likes this.
  19. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 Occasional commenter

No sympathy for anyone who dies in Iraq/ Afghan. No glory in war.

20. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Disagree. I was 100% against Iraq - Mr Bliar's personal war - but to blame the soldiers, especially those who returned disabled in body or mind, is pathetic. The House of Commons voted in favour - blame all those who failed to oppose it by all means, but aiming at the soldiers who were ordered to go there is lazy.

[On edit]

Some glory in WW2, IMHO. Or Hitler's successors would still be ruling Europe and, maybe, the UK.