1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Charity Bags

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sel_chick, Aug 5, 2011.

1. In the last 15 minutes I've had 3 charity bags come through the door - you know the ones where you fill the bag up with clothes/shoes/bedding/books etc.
    We seem to get a lot of these here - I'm guaranteed at least 2 or 3 a week from various different charities.
    Now, I don't object to them, and have used them on occasion when having a clear out, but I'm getting a little tired of receiving so many - and 3 in one day?! I think that makes 5 this week! And as I cleared out a wee while ago, I have nothing for them and they've all gone in the bin.
    Getting the odd one or two every few months was fine - it actually spurred me on to have a clear out, but does anyone else feel it's getting a bit ridiculous now?

2. In the last 15 minutes I've had 3 charity bags come through the door - you know the ones where you fill the bag up with clothes/shoes/bedding/books etc.
    We seem to get a lot of these here - I'm guaranteed at least 2 or 3 a week from various different charities.
    Now, I don't object to them, and have used them on occasion when having a clear out, but I'm getting a little tired of receiving so many - and 3 in one day?! I think that makes 5 this week! And as I cleared out a wee while ago, I have nothing for them and they've all gone in the bin.
    Getting the odd one or two every few months was fine - it actually spurred me on to have a clear out, but does anyone else feel it's getting a bit ridiculous now?

3. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Please don't give to them: they don't go to the charity. They are a scam - they sell on anything they get on ebay and the like.

4. Sick to death of them round here - get a fair few a day, the dogs go ballistic each time one's poked through the letter box and they're scamtacular as mentioned before.
    I use them for bin liners.

5. Strange, I've just had 3 this morning too. These are all from recognised charities such as 'British Heart foundation' and a local children's hospice so I dont think that they are a scam.
    Like you I had a clear out last week so have nothing to give them. In the past though I've filled them up and they've never been collected.

6. I agree that there are scammers out there, but I know that they're not all at it. My ex-BiL used to be a collector (I'm trying to think of who it was for and it's totally gone now). Everything he got in this area went to the shop. No different to me taking it in myself.
    He also had to wear a badge identifying himself and who he was working for.
    We had a bigger problem with random people 'collecting' the bags, rather than the charities themselves.
    Although I have used the bags, I do tend to take stuff to the shop(s) myself now - mainly because I'm too impatient to allow the bag to sit around, cluttering the place up for a few days before it's collected!

7. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

No, what they do is sell most of the stuff and donate one or two items to the charity: that is how they get away with it and why there are so many x

8. That's not true. Some are scams and if the bag makes false claims about being a charity it should be reported to the police. Others will state clearly that the contents will be sold and that this is a business. Neither of these things should stop anyone from reading bags carefully to check where the donations will go and giving to charities. This is a tough time for charities who are losing huge amounts of government funding and they need all the help you can give to keep their work going.

9. I find them useful for putting the rubbish in .... if we have any clothes to get rid of they go direct to the local hospice/cancer shop

10. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Although very wrong for people to be posing as a charity it one way to get rid of stuff... I put 2 PC games on Amazon a while back and ended up paying more to post them than I got for selling them. Mad how its 'cheaper' to bin stuff than sell it on. x

11. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

My record is 4 in one day, making 6 that week.
    My suggestion would be for such collections to need authorisation from a local council. That way they could regulate the timings to spread them out and ensure that they were legit. It wouldn't stop thieves nicking the bags, but it'd be a start.
    I rarely use the bags. Good quality children's stuff goes in the twice-yearly Nearly New sale that raises finds for my Brownie pack. Other items I take directly to a local charity shop that runs a Gift Aid system. Donated items are tagged so that they claim Gift Aid on the funds raised, so they get maximum benefit.
    [makes mental note to re-register Gift Aided donations under husband's name for when I'm a non-taxpaying student from next month ...!]

12. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Ooh student in what Eco lady? X

13. karentee

karentee New commenter

We also get loads, if you check the small print it often says that they are collecting on behalf of the charity and that a percentage of what they make goes to that charity. I use mine for bin bags and take my stuff directly to a charity shop, who can then do with as they see fit.

14. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I get loads of these too. It's really annoying because they NEVER collect the unused sacks from my doorstep. If they really are a charity, surely they should re-use the sacks instead of them just getting put in the bin.
    I take my old clothes etc to a local charity shop which supports one of my favourite, local charities. However, last time I went in, the woman sighed and said, "Not MORE clothes! Oh well, stick them over there" (she gestured vaguely to a corner) and walked away.
    Made me feel really good that did.....[​IMG]

15. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I would have taken them back and given them to another charity!

16. What do you all think of these 'cash for clothes' places that seem to be popping up?
    I was out this afternoon and noticed we now have one on our high street.

17. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I hope we don't get one around here,my husband might start eyeing up my wardrobe!

18. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I use them as poo bags when I do a dog dump pick in the garden...

19. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Wow, you must a have a mahoosive dog! [​IMG]

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

String an empty yoghurt pot with a tealight inside below an upturned charity bag and hey presto - a low cost sky lantern.