1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Charities to get money for Minibus

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Jun 18, 2015.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I am the chair of a scout executive committee and the Group is interested in trying to raise money for a minibus to take the scouts and cubs out to places ,camps and events etc..

I said I would look to see if there was any charity which might help with such an idea but i havent found one yet as most money seems to be for building or new 'event/planning'

Does anyone on here know of any such charity i can explore or research please?

Thanks

2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

My old school approached a local garage and they sponsored the school minibus. I've no idea how much they reduced the cost of the vehicle though. They did have their name on the side of the minibus, along with the school's. Might be worth an approach. Do any of the children have parents with connections to a local garage?

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Also Funding Centra

http://www.fundingcentral.org.uk/

5. oldsomeman

thank you folks I shall look into them

I found the lesile sell trust one thanks.......

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Check the regulations for drivers before you splash out the cash. If it only occassional use then hiring might be a cheaper option. We replaced a bus 3 years ago £25K for the bus with fuel, insurance (about £800 pa) and servicing/MOT on top. Last time I hired a bus it cost me £99 for 24 hours.

7. oldsomeman

We have looked into that blazer, but the problem is we need it for all sorts of hours.it would go to camp and stay there besides day outings and events. plus possible hire to other scout groups to help it pay its way.

Also probably for days down the dockland for boating days and these are often of an evening.

We have considered hire but its looking prohibitive but we may need to look again at the option

Using cars raises an insurance problem and the quantity of them the scouters have, and then again most of out parents dont own them

WE can hire an old minibus fro another scout group but its falling apart and its not convenient for the evening work and for camps as its hired by the day plus a mileage charge.

8. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Several years ago, we managed to get the lotto to fund our bus (and rebuild it several years later after one leader flooded the bus in a Ford!) but it did mean you had to let the rest of the scouting community book it/hire it out as part of a community project.

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Hiring the bus also raises problems as your insurers will point out! I would imagine that the majority of your drivers will have MIDAS licences which means the bus is used not for hire or reward. So hiring is not allowed.

10. oldsomeman

The scouts have a disclaimer license which you apply for which takes it out of the PSV category and then you can rent it out..but not charge folks using it.

Problem is its now costing a big sum of money to take scouts to camp and thins has to be added to the cost of any trips and a lot of the scouts are from families on low wages.

Thanks elfie...i will look into that one