1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Character Education

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by drycroft, Mar 3, 2016.

?

Is it worthwhile cultivating 'character'?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Character can't be taught

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Character education is not a discrete subject

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  5. Character education requires thought-through material

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Character education requires well-trained staff

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. drycroft

drycroft New commenter

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The speech sounds good - but does she mean it? Did she mean it when she delivered it but will forget about it in three days time?
    Character development is complex - every child should have the opportunity to be recognised as a human being, to learn to succeed, to learn to pick yourself up when stuff doesn't go to plan and to enable others to develop their characters as well.
    It cannot just happen in schools and has only a tenuous link to GCSE targets.

3. drycroft

drycroft New commenter

Yes - it is complex and does not just happen in schools. The interesting point, I think, is to ask how schools can give students the tools so that students are empowered to cultivate character qualities wherever they are. And to do this in a coherent and thorough way - as you say - so EVERY child has that opportunity.

4. SportyK

SportyK Occasional commenter

I watched this documentary last night. Worth considering, but I think every school who adopts this will approach character education quite differently.