1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

channel islands - advice sought from those who live/lived/moved/works there?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon1369, May 19, 2011.

1. There is a job going in my subject in Guernsey which I am thinking of applying for. I was going to just apply for it and see how things go from there. However, after carrying out some research I'm having doubts as to whether or not it's a good idea.
    I am an NQT and they have an accepted induction programme so thats not a problem.
    M1 is more than over here - around &pound;25,000 - excellent you may think! That is until I started looking at accomodation! I understand housing falls into 2 categories and I can only rent houses on the 'open market'. The cheapest <u>1 bed flat</u> I could find was &pound;1300 per month! Infact the cheapest property on one estate agent was &pound;43,000 pa - nearly double my salary! [​IMG] Then there is bills and furnishings to think about.
    Also, I would hope that MrCC could come with me - but this might be a problem as there are restrictions regarding employment etc. If MrCC can't come with me then I would have to pay all rent and bills myself which I am sure would bankrupt me!
    So, any advice from anyone who can help would be much appreciated. Particularly those who have 'moved' there for work.
    Thanks in advance [​IMG]