1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing your teaching due to Covid

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by littlemisssunshine, Jul 1, 2020 at 10:44 AM.

1. littlemisssunshine

littlemisssunshine New commenter

Hello.

I've never posted before but was hoping for some advice. As we know MFL teaching involves loads of speaking, repetition and games. Given that this creates a lot of "droplets" from children and that they can transmit the virus this way, how are you considering reducing this risk? No pair or group work? No repetition involving shouting? Any ideas?

2. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Videoing myself for phonics so I don't have to talk loudly.
    Songs set for homework because we can't sing in class.
    Pairwork and speed dating cut out.
    Writing in different colours or highlighting text won't work unless they bring their own pens.

So yes, thinking of lots of ways it will have to change. Not heard a lot about this from others yet...

agathamorse likes this.
  3. jonnymarr

jonnymarr Occasional commenter

Rumours that we will be asked to give a 'teacher endorsement' of speaking ability ( estimated grade ) rather than conduct a speaking test for GCSE ( and A-level? ) Summer 2021. Pretext = speaking is a virus-spreading risk & one component fewer to practise.
    Implications for any cohort other than exam classes....?
    "So kids, 2020-21 we're all going to work on three skills, R/W/L - we'll do all the speaking you missed from Sept 2021 onwards when it's a bit safer..." ( ??? )

agathamorse likes this.
  4. madcatlady

madcatlady Occasional commenter

What? Well we might as well give up on MFL now. Wasn't our whole driver the "being able to communicate" thing? Well, if I wasn't depressed before....

5. jonnymarr

jonnymarr Occasional commenter

Perhaps more for curriculum than health reasons from what I've read since

upload_2020-7-3_12-26-25.png

6. madcatlady

madcatlady Occasional commenter

Well that's a terrible idea imho. We stopped doing CA due to the widespread (and acknowledged) abuse. An exam is easier for us than all the faff of a "teacher endorsement". Make the oral exam less annoying (remove the TL RP that is too difficult to understand?) but removing it is a stupid idea.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

The rationale for the proposed changes is not to do with speaking as a vector of disease. It is meant to be reducing student stress load. There are other suggestions. Eg get rid of the role play and some of the multiplicity of Wr tasks on the AQA foundation paper. The role pay just takes teaching time away from language-learning as you have to concentrate decoding the bizarre cues on the card.

Anyway, consultation: https://assets.publishing.service.g..._of_GCSEs__AS_and_A_levels_in_2021_020620.pdf

agathamorse likes this.