1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Changing your mind?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by therickmachine, Apr 20, 2011.

  1. Hello all,

    I ve been on the job hunt since January. Really eager to work overseas (Middle East)
    By February I d been offered 5 jobs in different schools. The job I agreed to was in what was a good school a few years ago and Im hoping still is. I applied for the schools I really wanted but didn t hear anything (Im assuming its because I have only 2 years teaching experience). So I verbally agreed to a job in this school. A contract was sent out but I was told I can take my time in getting all the docs ready.

    Meanwhile one of the schools I really, really wanted suddenly starts advertising and hey ho its in the exact town I want to go to. Not only that but the salary is meant to be double what I will get in the school I have been offered. One of my primary objectives of moving abroad is to save like crazy for when I come back to the UK. On the salary I think this school will offer I could save 2000 euros easily a month.

    However, can schools abroad do anything about someone who decides on a different school or not to go out there at all?
    I haven t signed a contract or sent anything to them. To be honest I d feel really bad for the school that has hired me but should I put myself first?
     
  2. I would be very reluctant to walk away from a solid job offer if I was you. The other school is only advertising you say, so they may not even want you for interview, never mind offer a job. How would you feel if you walked away only to end up with nothing at all. It is very competitive out there and you have been lucky to have 5 offers (or are they really desperate schools, and if so why?). You were happy to accept the job you had before your head was turned, and nothing much has actually changed. It is possible that you could get a reputation for running, if the job is through an agency they will probably disown you too. It's your choice, but is it really worth the risk?
     
  3. '?' - question mark at the end of a question sir!
     
  4. kemevez

    kemevez Occasional commenter

    "I would be very reluctant to walk away from a solid job offer if I was you"

    If I were you sir.
     
  5. kemevez

    kemevez Occasional commenter

    And we both missed a comma. Yeah yeah!
     
  6. Principal-Skinner

    Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

    Perhaps you haven't heard the old proverb, 'a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.'
    The oddest part is that you seem to want to go a specific town in the ME. Yikes! how odd!
    If you haven't signed and returned the contract within a limited period, usually specified, the school offering a contract has a right to withdraw. Be careful not to highlight your identity!
     
  7. gulfgolf

    gulfgolf Established commenter

    International schools and their recruiting agencies have long said plainly that verbal offers and verbal acceptances are as binding as written ones. If you back out, you run a high chance of having your actions reported to all agencies, discussed among school heads (they all know each other and talk freely), and your reputation rightfully will suffer.
    The school has done nothing wrong. You therefore have no ethical reason to back out of your acceptance of their offer.
    I don't see any way for you to get out of the agreement with School A that wouldn't lead to potential disaster for you. You can't tell them that you're ditching them for a better offer, as they will immediately take action to make sure everyone knows what you've done. Considering you aren't even a candidate yet for School B, I really don't see why they would even look at your application under those circumstances. And if you lie to School A, some porky about family obligations/emergencies so you can't go overseas, and then they find you're going overseas anyway - even if they see you're still on the market - they will be even more upset, and quite possibly do even more damage to you. Even if School B had by that time extended an offer to you, even signed a contract with you, School B would be within its legal rights to cancel that on the grounds that you had misrepresented yourself in your application, when you had no right to be seeking employment. (A basic rule among schools and agencies is that as soon as you accept an offer, you end all discussions/applications with other schools. Continuing to consider other schools violates this and is a professional misrepresentation.)
    In short, the international world is a small world. If you behave unprofessionally, it will be known quickly by schools and agencies, and no one of any repute will be willing to take a chance on you.
    I know how tempting it is to look at the greener grass of other schools. However, in the end we don't really know which grass is the tastiest until we've tried it. You may find your new school incredibly satisfying and life in that country everything you've hoped for. If not, you can always move on after your initial contract. Two years is really not a long time.
    Good luck.
     
  8. They are schools in different countries by the way, I am not with an agency. I have decided to stick with my original school and see what happens! Cheerio!
     
  9. Though I have to ask " Would they really be able to find out if in different countries?" I know of people who signed contracts for schools and just didn t show up. There was nothing the school was able to do as unprofessional as it was.
     
  10. You have done well, only having 2 years experience and to have landed a job. Don't mess it up by breaking your word and jumping ship now. From what I gather you don't even have a job offer.
    Word does get around, the directors of these schools do speak to each other and help each other out. Especially when there is a lot of applicants to choose from. I'd imagine your original school would be well annoyed if you suddenly decide not to sign. It's getting late in the job season and would be a major inconvenience for them. You may have got away with it a bit back in Dec/Jan... not now.
     

Share This Page