1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing year levels - advice appreciated!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Dec 28, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ooops yeps I use that one as well.

2. Thanks for the links :) I'm getting more enthusiastic now. I've done a bit of research and got lots of ideas, so more confident.

3. Hi, I am having a change from Year 2 to Year 3/4 this year. Year 2s are amazing, they make so much progress and grow up so much during the year. It can be quite a shock to see their first writing attempts, but they soon develop in confidence and ability. In the Literacy Progressions, after 2 years at school, children need to know the HF words from List One and Two of the 'Spellrite' books if you have them in your classroom. The yellow and blue 'Butterfly Cards' are great for their first dictionary.
    The reading and maths tumbles are similar I expect, but they will need lots of training to follow them. They often forget which group they are in and what activity they are doing. Start off with just one activity and build up during the first few weeks. You will want to do that anyway as you teach them the different activities they will be expected to do independently. Do you have access to the Sheena Cameron and Alison Davis books? They have some great independent activities that are suitable for Year 2s to do. If you use the computer as part of your tumble, I also like Studyladder, which you can use free in a limited way, but would be worthwhile subscribing to as a school perhaps. The children's favourite tumble activity was "post office", writing letters to each other. I had a letter box and the monitor would deliver the mail at home time. A writing table with lots of fun paper, pens and such is popular. I never did, but my next door neighbour had a making table, where students could make something in response to a book they had read. Playdough is great if you can bear the mess it makes! Look out for 'WikkiStix' or Warehouse Stationery carry 'Bendaroos', which are great for making words. My set are still going after a year of daily use with the class, so they have been worth the cost.
    The biggest thing I had to learn was not to give too many instructions at once. They can be easily confused if things are not explicitly explained to them in small chunks. Their attention span is also more limited than you will be used to. Or maybe not, thinking of some of the Year 5s I've taught! To be honest, I prefer older students, so I found it hard going at the start of each year as they are essentialy still Year 1s, but by the end of Term 1 I wouldn't have changed them for the world. They are mostly so keen and willing to work with you.

4. What, may I ask, is a 'tumble'?

5. I think it is what you would call a carousel? The children have a choice of independent activities that consolidate skills or knowledge recently aquired, or they move through a number of different activities whilst the teacher works with groups.

6. Ah. Which part of the world are you working in then?

7. I work in New Zealand. Although I am from the UK, I have never taught there. Did my degree over here.