1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing working times

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by vonclaptrap, Jul 1, 2015.

1. vonclaptrap

vonclaptrap New commenter

We have inherited a member of support staff who works a slightly different start and finish time to the rest of the support staff. This was agreed historically (over 15 years ago) with the governing body, however, actual start and finish times are not mentioned in contract, just total hours to be worked.

We would like his hours to fall in line with other staff now for various reasons. He is not moving, saying it was agreed historically.

Can we insist as long as the amount of hours stays the same? We would have backing of Governing body?

Thanks

2. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Yes, you do have authority as you are changing his working pattern to suit the needs of the school... Irrespective of how many years he has been there or what was agreed by previous HT... You are the HT now so it's your decision and you should have meetings with the employee and the governing body to agree this.

3. frymeariver

frymeariver New commenter

I would check with your HR provider that they would not have a case to have their hours remain the same on the grounds of "custom and practice". As I understand it, if someone has always worked the same pattern of days and hours - and everyone knows that they do - then this becomes an implicit part of their contract. They are entitled to expect no change to this element of it in the same way as they do any of the explicit elements. This is certainly the case for a part time teacher, say, who has had Fridays off for as long as anyone can remember. I only know this because I checked last term to see what I could do about a sudden increase in the number of part time staff causing timetabling issues.