1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing to part-time due to health issues.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lilykitty, Jun 19, 2011.

1. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

Hi
    I've posted this on 'Pay and Conditions' but I've found this message board really supportive over the past months and didn't know if anyone here might have relevant experience too.
    I am employed on a full-time contract, but following a period of ill health where I have been unable to work, I want to drop my hours to part-time. My head teacher has advised me that this is not possible, nor is any reduction in workload / duties. In a perfect world, I would offer my resignation and look for other work, but I was signed off and missed the official resignation date, so I am compelled to continue in my current post until Christmas.
    I know I cannot manage full-time work and feel as though I am caught between being completely signed off or the head teacher taking capability proceedings against me for not fulfilling my full-time contract.
    I feel completely trapped - can anyone advise me?
    I will be chasing up a response from my union on Monday.
    Thanks for reading.

2. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

Hi
    I've posted this on 'Pay and Conditions' but I've found this message board really supportive over the past months and didn't know if anyone here might have relevant experience too.
    I am employed on a full-time contract, but following a period of ill health where I have been unable to work, I want to drop my hours to part-time. My head teacher has advised me that this is not possible, nor is any reduction in workload / duties. In a perfect world, I would offer my resignation and look for other work, but I was signed off and missed the official resignation date, so I am compelled to continue in my current post until Christmas.
    I know I cannot manage full-time work and feel as though I am caught between being completely signed off or the head teacher taking capability proceedings against me for not fulfilling my full-time contract.
    I feel completely trapped - can anyone advise me?
    I will be chasing up a response from my union on Monday.
    Thanks for reading.

3. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Is your ill health temporary or likely to be covered by the equality act?

4. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

I've been diagnosed with depression and stress related illness. Basically I'm completely burnt out and have very little energy or stamina. Over time, I will build this up again but this is dependent on pacing myself carefully now.
    Thanks for replying.

5. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

The reason I asked is if you are covered then you can ask for part time as a reasonable adjustment. Has part time been recommended by OH? As well as your union you can get further advice from the human rights and equality commission.

6. You seem to be quite lucid and to be handling this well despite the nature of your illness, well done! Have you been to occupational health? They might not drop your hours to part time as a reasonable adjustment, but they should take steps to reduce your workload. If you need more of a workload reduction than what they offer, then you've got no choice but to stay signed off completely.

7. You can get a 'Fit to work' note from the dcotor, which has a section for them to make recommendations to school to help you teach. When I was pregnant and knackered, the doc did one for me recommending they reduce my timetable by 50%, which they did (I am at a fab school). if they hadn't, then you can't go back to school as you are signed off sick.

8. The other way you might be able to sell it to the head may be to ask for a jobshare-unions often help with support to get that if the head is dead set against it.
    I knew one (primary) HT who was completely against the idea-he had 2 teachers returning from maternity leave in Y1 and Y2 and he told them the only part time they could have was to do PPA in Y5 or 6. The union stepped in with support and the teachers themselves did a great job in selling it to the HT assuring him that they would liase completely and would also cover for the other in times of illness so that the class wouldn't have to have any supply teachers.
    I worked in a job share in a SEN unit years ago and it worked great-I did the end of the week and came in at about 11.30 on a Wednesday so there was plenty of handover time.
    Might be worth a try. Good luck

9. I also meant to add that when I did the job share, the other teacher and I also shared SENCo duties-she did the school staff meeting on a Monday and I did SMT meeting on a Wednesday. We also shared out any after school meetings with parents (usually when a class teacher needed a bit of support with parents of pupil on SEN register) ,
    The HT was also ok that we covered for each other and went on holiday abroad in term time !![​IMG]

10. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

Thanks for all the replies. I have taken a risk and asked if my resignation could still be considered effective from end of August. Just waiting to find out if accepted now......[​IMG]

11. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Take advice from your union NOW!!!
    you should not be considering resignation while you feel like this - tempting I know - been there, done that - and survived!

12. Yes, don't make any big decisions while you are ill. You can always resign in the future, but you can't un-resign!