1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing to part-time due to health issues

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by lilykitty, Jun 19, 2011.

1. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

Hi
    I've tried to contact my union about this, but haven't heard anything back yet and wondered if anyone on here might have any relevant experience.
    I am employed as a primary teacher on a full-time contract, but following a period of ill health where I have been unable to work, I want to drop my hours to part-time. My head teacher has advised me that this is not possible, nor is any reduction in workload / duties. In a perfect world, I would offer my resignation and look for other work, but I was signed off and missed the official resignation date, so I am compelled to continue in my current post until Christmas.
    I am currently on a part-time phased return. I know I cannot manage full-time work and feel as though I am caught between being completely signed off or the head teacher taking capability proceedings against me for not fulfilling my full-time contract.
    I feel completely trapped - can anyone advise me?
    I will be chasing up a response from my union on Monday.
    Thanks for reading.

2. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

Hi
    I've tried to contact my union about this, but haven't heard anything back yet and wondered if anyone on here might have any relevant experience.
    I am employed as a primary teacher on a full-time contract, but following a period of ill health where I have been unable to work, I want to drop my hours to part-time. My head teacher has advised me that this is not possible, nor is any reduction in workload / duties. In a perfect world, I would offer my resignation and look for other work, but I was signed off and missed the official resignation date, so I am compelled to continue in my current post until Christmas.
    I am currently on a part-time phased return. I know I cannot manage full-time work and feel as though I am caught between being completely signed off or the head teacher taking capability proceedings against me for not fulfilling my full-time contract.
    I feel completely trapped - can anyone advise me?
    I will be chasing up a response from my union on Monday.
    Thanks for reading.

3. coppull

coppull New commenter

Please discuss with your Union at the Regional Centre,not your school rep. They will be able to give you the best advice depending on your circumstances.Age,length of service,how long you have been off..Have you gone through all parts of your Local Authority sickneess procedure ? Does your health problems ,result in you having a disability ?
    All this information and questions for your Union.