1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing to Academy - did you change your RE?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Angek, May 30, 2011.

1. Hi all - hapy hols :)
    We are becoming an Academy soon and I know one of the changes for some subjects is theur syllabus freedom.
    If you became a Academy did you see many changes in RE?
    Thanks x

2. I made a huge deal about the Academies Act 2010 which states Academies without religious character must follow the Locally Agreed Syllabus. We got an extra RE teacher and RE is still compulsory.

Good luck and get all the help you can get.

3. I 've got extra teaching time at KS4

4. reader42

reader42 New commenter

You might find this useful from NATRE. There is a formal complaints process .....
    http://www.natre.org.uk/docstore/NATRE_RE%20&%20Academies.pdf

5. I think it totally depends on what kind of academy (outstanding school or failing school) and how RE was viewed beforehand. In my area (my school isn't going to academy, but know some people locally who have) it seems that if RE was respected, given good time, resources, staff etc before then there are no worries.

If, on the other hand, you have had to fight for things before then things CAN go down hill after academy status.

It is like the English Bacc stuff. I have never had to worry about this in my school as RE is well thought of. This isn't the case everywhere though.

6. Please can you help - is this an actual statement in the Act or is it that the Act doesn't repeal previous provisions?
    Thank you so much in advance xx

7. Hi aroara,
    I had to spend significant amounts of time researching and fighting my case on this as my school intended to cut RE (despite us getting some of the best grades in the school) as they believed Academies can do ehat they want with the curriculum.
    The Academies Act and Gove both state that there must be a 'broad, balanced curriculum' and this includes RE as a legal requirement in The Education Act (which the Academies Act references). RE won't be part of the curriculum review as it is compulsory and cannot be changed unless by an act of Parliament.
    Furthermore, it is apparently somehow referenced in the Funding Agreements of academies, but not sure where (although I found a model funding agreement online that includes it).
    If you pm me your email, I will send you all the docs I have - against all the odds (a determined new SLT, sponsors, etc) we now have (almost) all of our RE back and an A-level starting, so it worked!
    NQT45

8. nqt 45 - i have pm ed you for help - about to get structures and fear the worst.
    thabks a million - joanne