1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing the title of subject and GCSE Philosophy and Ethics help!

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by rubysoho79, Jan 20, 2011.

1. rubysoho79

rubysoho79 New commenter

We are thinking about changing the name of RE in our school, as the mis-conceptions which come from the name are making it very tiresome and the profile of the subject needs to be raised. We believe a title including philosophy and ethics is more suitable, as RE is not simply religion - we do an incredible amount of philosophy, ethics, theology... and these subjects hold much more respect overall. If you have changed the name of RE in your schoo, what have you gone for? And why? We are toying with simply "Religion, Philosophy and Ethics".

Also, we are getting incredibly tired of Edexcel short course, the text books are dreadful and the content is so lengthy, I have been teaching it 8 years now and I think it is time for a change. We were toying with a philosophy and ethics GCSE and have been looking at OCR's Religious Studies B - Philosophy and Ethics - does anyone follow this course? What is it like to teach? Has anyone followed both this and the Edexcel and can compare?
    Many thanks

2. rubysoho79

rubysoho79 New commenter

We are thinking about changing the name of RE in our school, as the mis-conceptions which come from the name are making it very tiresome and the profile of the subject needs to be raised. We believe a title including philosophy and ethics is more suitable, as RE is not simply religion - we do an incredible amount of philosophy, ethics, theology... and these subjects hold much more respect overall. If you have changed the name of RE in your schoo, what have you gone for? And why? We are toying with simply "Religion, Philosophy and Ethics".

Also, we are getting incredibly tired of Edexcel short course, the text books are dreadful and the content is so lengthy, I have been teaching it 8 years now and I think it is time for a change. We were toying with a philosophy and ethics GCSE and have been looking at OCR's Religious Studies B - Philosophy and Ethics - does anyone follow this course? What is it like to teach? Has anyone followed both this and the Edexcel and can compare?
    Many thanks

3. The problem is it will all boil down to initials on the timetable. Instead of RE or RS it will become RPE ... in the minds of the kids - no change.
    Used to teach "Divinity" and it was changed to RS and Phiosophy (figuring that both RS and Philosophy cover the ethics thing) - the kdis preferred the old name. It was fairly unique to the school and quite eclectic.
    I don't think we could do this, but wouldn't it be fun if we could just call it "Belief and Thinking" or "Big Ideas, Beliefs and Behaviour" or "Ultimate Questions and Beliefs" ...

4. Skitashi

Skitashi New commenter

We call the subject 'Cultural Studies' at GCSE as its short course RS & short course Citizenship. Both Edexcel, it seems to work well, pupils realise they are doing 2 sep exams etc.
    However at A level be careful - I try to 'sell' the subject as 'philosophy & ethics' BUT it is Religious Studies. That is what their A level is called, so you dont want them getting a big surprise come results day!
    So in our 6thform intro day we call it RS-Philosophy & Ethics to get around that but really for our school the exam boards would all do us a favour by modifying the title to include the Phil & Ethics bit on their results.
    Oh b t w I think Beliefs and thinking sounds awful! Really wishy washy, I think we need to sound as though we have some applied academic rigour just my opinion.....

5. nigiollabhui

nigiollabhui New commenter

I have been considering the same thing for my school. I have just moved to the AQA Philosophy and Religion in society. This is the first year we were able to offer a full course as we used to do the OCR shortcourse as compulsary in yr.10. We have just had options evening and we had a really good response from parents and students; initially it was the title of philosophy and when we discussed the topics for the religion in society they were very positive about it. We have chosen unit 4 and 5; Ultimate questions and expression in society (Spirituality)
    I have been considering changing the title in Lower school to help raise the profile there too. I have been trying to think of a way of raising the profile with parents but not completly sure how to go about it yet.

6. Yes, you're probably right. I was just trying to get the idea of 'thinking' involved across without calling it just Philosophy.

7. In my opinion it's what you do with them, not what it's called.
    My department was good but some students were rather demotivated - enthusiastic staff, engaging topics, rewards, praise through school sytem, positive letters home etc entering and being successful in local and national competitions etc have all driven up enthusiasm, standards and GCSE grades.