1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing the timing of the school day

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by nunncoal, Mar 6, 2011.

1. I wonder if any Heads on this forum could offer any adviceon changing the time of the school day.

My Head is considering a change to our school day for Sept which means starting ten minutes later and finishing 15 minutes later. This will have an enormous impact in my school since that timing means my school ( a secondary academy) will finish at the same time as at least four of our feeder primaries. Many of our pupils collect their siblings and should this plan go ahead it will cause enormous problems for many families.
    The Head has informed parents that there will be a consultation period however I have already since documentation with the new timings in place. She has acknowledged that there is some concerns from parents but as yet has not even mentioned consulting with the staff.
    I would be grateful for any advice - thanks

2. I wonder if any Heads on this forum could offer any adviceon changing the time of the school day.

My Head is considering a change to our school day for Sept which means starting ten minutes later and finishing 15 minutes later. This will have an enormous impact in my school since that timing means my school ( a secondary academy) will finish at the same time as at least four of our feeder primaries. Many of our pupils collect their siblings and should this plan go ahead it will cause enormous problems for many families.
    The Head has informed parents that there will be a consultation period however I have already since documentation with the new timings in place. She has acknowledged that there is some concerns from parents but as yet has not even mentioned consulting with the staff.
    I would be grateful for any advice - thanks

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

You haven't mentioned why the Head is considering the change.
    Nevertheless, based purely on your version of events, the Head would be foolish to impose a change is the consulation does not support it. The quality of consulation is key and should include all stakeholders. Unless you are part of the decision making process, there is little you can do.
    One thing I find a little odd is that you currently finish before feeder schools; what are the current start and finish times? Sounds odd for a secondary to finish before primary schools and this may have something to do with the change.

4. Under the previous Head our school day was reorganised - we started earlier in the day than all our feeder schools and the lunch time was also cut back. He wanted to reduce the munber of incidents at lunch time but also he felt that it was more beneficial to have more lessons in the morning. To be honest it really worked - plus we no longer faced any issues with our students causing problems with students and parents at the feeder schools all spilling out at the same time.
    She is planning the change in order to reorganise the entire school day ( new building work in progress) possibly in preparation for the move into a new building.
    I am just worried about the countless families who rely on the children in my school to pick up their siblings.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

You are discovering yet another of the many small ways in which Academies can ignore and ride roughshod over the views of parents, staff and other local schools. In a LA-maintained school the Changing of School Session Times Regualtions would force the head to consult staff (as well as parents and the LA) but Academies appear to be exempt from them so can do what they like. It's difficult actually to pin down whether Academies are or aren't required to consult parents or anybody about changing the school day - does anyone know what the formal position is?
    There is a valid point of view though that schools shouldn't organise themselves for the convenience of parents' domestic arrangements if the proposed change will enhance pupils' learning and attainment.