1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing the school day

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by nunncoal, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Can someone tell me what notice a Head needs to give to parents, children and staff if there is a plan to lengthen the school day?

Our school has recently become an academy and the plan is to end fifteen minutes later. This will have a major impact on many of our students who collect siblings from other schools. Additionally it will impact upon childcare for many staff.
    Our head seems determined to press on regardless.[​IMG]

I would be enormously grateful for any comments and or advice you may have - thank you

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

For teachers such a move could be considered better use of your 'directed time' and as academies do not have to adhere to the STPCD even if that did exceed the 1265 hours a year that is the accepted norm in the STPCD they would not have to bow to it.

For parents I think the notice period is a term, but am sure someone else will correct me if not right.

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I'm not sure there doesn't have to be "consultation" rather than a "notice period" for parents.
    Maybe the heads of the primaries would like to make some form of representation to your head: they're probably going to be significantly affected.

4. Try asking on the Headteacher's forum.
    (As a matter of principal, I dislike Heads, but some of them on here can be very reasonable)