1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing the future of loneliness?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kibosh, Nov 5, 2015.

1. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ste..._b_8472476.html?utm_hp_ref=uk-tech&ir=UK+Tech

"Of course, the Internet is only one piece in the jigsaw - it can not and should not replace meaningful relationships, everyday human interaction and real world experiences. But it can enhance them and make life a little easier for anyone who finds it hard to get out and about. We have a lot to do if we are to change the future of loneliness, but if we all do something small the collective impact will mean a more connected future for all of us."

I'd be interested to read people's views on this, from whatever perspective.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think the internet is wonderful and it will enable me to live a better life as I get older. I mean to make a real effort to keep up with the changes in technology because having someone else do all the fetching and carrying.
    Plus, there will be you lot to chat to!

kibosh and Eureka! like this.
  3. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

WHy shouldn't older people enjoy an online social scene?

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What?!!

This isn't a meaningful relationship?

Me and you @kibosh?
    You and I @Flere-lmsaho?

[​IMG]

lexus300 and kibosh like this.
  5. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

In my mid-20s the Internet was literally a lifeline; I was suffering from depression, my parents lived 100 miles away, only two or three friends within a 20-minute drive who were busy with their own lives... I joined an online forum (not this one!) and suddenly had "somewhere to be" and people to talk to. It carried me through that dark time and I have met many of the people from that forum and two have become close friends.
    Nowadays I'm not depressed but don't have many friends or any family nearby and can feel down because of it, so to come on TES is a helpful source of interaction for me.

Lascarina, midnight_angel and kibosh like this.
  6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

In years to come, will loneliness have become an emotional phenomenon of the past?
    *edited to add: assuming that everyone has the digi-skills to get online*
    *and a broadband connection*

7. Flere-Imsaho

Looking at my first post, I think I need to work on finishing sentences not technology.

kibosh likes this.
  8. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I get the sense that preferring one's own company is increasingly considered to be a psychological concern. We are seen, whether we like it or not, as social animals.

kibosh likes this.
  9. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I might be tempted to live in an elderly commune (ecommunes) rather than on my own. The net might be a way of helping this happen. I think there ought to be a network of ecommunes and wrinklies can move around a bit until they settle.

InkyP likes this.
  10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

You are all my imaginary friends!
    Hugs! Xx

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Are your on-line relationships meaningful?
    Is it possible for internet-based communications to meet all our social needs ?

12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It's nice to see you posting again, Flere . . . . you been on my mind.

anotherauntsally likes this.
  13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I agree.
    If it came down to being only allowed a restricted quantity of conversations (with people outside of your immediate household) per day, how many conversations do you think you could happily 'survive' on? 1? 3? 23?

14. Dunteachin

That's deep. I'm going to have a little think.

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

What circumstances make you (makes one) feel lonely?
    p.s I'm not directing the question at the previous poster, but anyone who wants to reply (or not).

16. Dunteachin

I read the other day that, by 2035, 1 in 12 of us will be over 80!!
    Some serious consequences there.

17. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

kibosh likes this.
  18. Flere-Imsaho

I've not been away. Just feeling less chatty.

19. Dunteachin

They are meaningful but can never replace face to face interaction. Not for me.

20. Flere-Imsaho

I think the line between on line and other relationships is blurring all the time. There are chunks of my family I only interact with online - it's more meaningful than the letter every year at birthdays!

Lara mfl 05 and kibosh like this.