1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing the bedding

Discussion in 'Personal' started by smurphy6, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I bought it in this country. May not be standard across all Dutch duvet covers, of course! I don't know why they can't just have an envelope end like a pillow case.

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I don't. :(

3. sparklepig2002

Thanks. I give it a try.

mothorchid likes this.
  4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

smoothnewt likes this.
  5. Doitforfree

I actually don't think that would make it particularly easy. My zippy one still just has one open end, which is plenty. If it all opens up you just have a much larger thing to contend with, plus you have to carefully spread the duvet on it and all that faff. Putting on a normal cover is dead easy unless you're especially weak. And if I'm honest, I wouldn't like the zip. It makes for a bit of a hard edge, which doesn't matter much at the end but would seriously compromise comfort if it were round the sides!

We have a goose down duvet. It weighs almost nothing. Bliss.

6. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

I have a cleaner who changes the bed so never get stressed about it. She loves folding things neatly, too.

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

We had a cleaner who absolutely loved ironing. I've never known anyone who did it better. We lost her as a cleaner when I offered her a job doing assembly work and later, machining work.

There's no two ways about it, whatever I asked her to, she was the easiest employee I ever had to teach. There's no doubt she was an intelligent woman, but there's a terrible story behind why she did cleaning work rather than more befitting her intelligence. She told me I was the only person she'd spoken about it to, but I can't be certain of the veracity of this, although people tell me I'm a good, non-judgemental listener, so maybe it's true.

Anyway, it turned out her father died when she was young and her mother remarried. Her step father sexually abused her and although she didn't like it, she didn't make a fuss, because she wanted to protect her younger sister from his attention. She consequently didn't do as well at school as she ought.

Eventually he died, she grew up, got married and didcovered her husband was abusing her kids, so that ended in tears. Her story after that was one of a single mum, raising two kids by doing whatever work would put bread on the table.

She claimed whatever benefits she was entitled to, but was more than happy to give them up when I offered her full employment. Nothing angers me more than whenthe gutter press rant on about benefit scroungers. There's always a back story to why people end up claiming benefits, but those stories rarely get told.

8. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

Maybe but I'm one of the few that can't stand seeing a freshly made bed with rumpled sheets. I cheat and send my bedding to the laundry to be ironed.

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Put crumpled sheet on bed and then iron it in situ.

towncryer and nomad like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The best ironing scene ever!

11. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Among many glorious scenes in "Frasier", @nomad, that is one of my very favourites. Thank you!

nomad and smoothnewt like this.
  12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

And what a great canine actor was Eddie (Moose) the JR terrier!
    :D

13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Howling with laughter! I've got the box set but somehow missed that one!
    The dog is (was?) brilliant!

sparklepig2002 and nomad like this.
  14. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

I don't try to keep them flat. I roll them up. They come back from the laundry folded and then I take them and roll into a cylinder shape and slot them into the shelf with the other rolled up sheets. They still stay crease free.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  15. sparklepig2002

Hadn't thought of rolling. Thanks.

16. Doitforfree

I wouldn't want someone else washing my things.