1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing the bedding

Discussion in 'Personal' started by smurphy6, Dec 15, 2019.

1. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We have a top sheet and don’t change the duvet cover weekly, but the sheets and pillow cases are changed weekly.

We have brushed cotton sheets now for winter and they are lovely. I do iron duvet covers, but they’re folded when I do. I struggle with the sheets and duvet covers because they’re superking size. I was press ganged into that purchase in the summer, although I love the
    space.

2. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Me and my Manager at a meeting about something important and both exhausted and stressed out of our heads.
    'My house is a tip.'
    'So's mine.'
    'No really. It's in a terrible state. I haven't changed my bedding since.... so long, I can't tell you.'
    'Me neither.'
    'How long?'
    'A long time. A very long time. I can't remember.'
    'I can't tell you how long my bed's been like this.'
    'No I can't. I can't admit it.'
    'Is it a long time?'
    'Yes, far too long.'
    'I think you might be shocked if I told you how long it is since I changed the bed.'
    'No. Probably not. I can't remember when I last did it. I don't change my bed often. It's really bad.'
    'Yes. Me too. It's really bad.'

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I think that there's a business opportunity here for a new duvet design.
    I suggest that duvet covers be made with just the top edge stitched together. The sides and end seams should be neatened and fitted with either velcro, press studs or buttons & buttonholes.
    Putting on a new cover is then a simple mater of placing the duvet cover on the bed, unfastening it and folding the top layer back onto the pillows. Then put the duvet in place. Replace the top cover and fasten on both sides and the end.

caress likes this.
  4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I liked your idea of an easier solution to a duver cover change and prosose that having a zip around the cover would simlify it further, but surely we need to distance ourselves from the notion that it's a mothers job that only simpleton mothers would undertake?

nomad likes this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:D

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

[QUOTE="Duke of York, post: 12989533, member: 338567"surely we need to distance ourselves from the notion that it's a mothers job that only simpleton mothers would undertake?[/QUOTE]

Oops! Missing letters can be as bad as poor punctuation or speech.
    I was listening to a commentary about how rescued hedgehogs are looked after and according to the TV presenter they are fed "mashed dog ... and cat food." That pause after dog, instead of after mashed, conjured up disturbing images!

nomad and Duke of York like this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Reminds me of a headteacher I once heard at a school concert who, reading from his pre-prepared script, followed up a song from the Reception class by saying, "That was done awfully. Well, now we have..."

After a shocked silence and angry glares from the parents in the audience he looked again at his notes and said, "I mean that was done awfully well. Now we have..."

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Absolutely-you have to love a trier!
    Although...what a load of faff and over engineering.
    The best way by far is to sew four small loops securely to each corner of your freshly washed, conditioned and steam ironed duvet cover. Insert the top edge of the duvet into the cover and sew the top corners into place. You can use large stitching and contrasting thread for visibility as you are going to remove the stitches later.
    Run a seven metre long fine rope through the top outer two loops, and two seperate five metre ropes through the bottom two. These you then fasten to two trees in your garden, as far apart as possible.
    Then-and this is the clever bit- back your car up to the duvet,open the two back window vents and run the seven metre rope into the car and out the other side, before tying the ends to create a large loop.
    The rest is simple. Drive forward 2 metres and voila! perfectly applied duvet cover, and still the rest of the day free to enjoy your cuppa soup before removing that top stitching.
    tbh I don't get all this fuss about duvets at all.

Jamvic, jubilee, Doitforfree and 4 others like this.
  10. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I don't have a problem with duvets and duvet covers. I do have a problem with trying to fold fitted sheets so they are fllat and neat on my shelf. I've looked at "useful" clips on You Yube- they are all rubbish and don't work.
    Anyone got a good solution?

11. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

That made me cry real tears of laughter!
    :p:p:p

Jamvic and sbkrobson like this.
  12. smoothnewt

If you have a divan bed with drawers in the base, just shove the sheets in the drawers until needed. That’s what I do.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  13. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The best thing about fitted sheets is that it doesn't matter if they're nice and flat, because the creases are pulled out when you put them on the bed. Fold 'em how you like, and if they're on a shelf, just put the neatest side of the folding on the outside. Mine are in a box under the bed.

I know an elderly couple who use two single duvets on their bed rather than a double/king - simply for ease of changing covers.

When in hospital, I thought I would take the opportunity to see how they changed the beds, since they do a lot of it. Answer: they always did it in pairs.

Jamvic likes this.
  14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Yes! Try this one. Takes just a bit of focused practice.
    As you can see there are in fact two completely different ways of doing it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I have never ironed a duvet cover in my life! How do you all find time to do that?

smoothnewt and (deleted member) like this.
  16. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Yes, I always do it this way. It works well.
    I was taught to do this when I was a cleaner for a holiday cottage firm, and had to change up to 37 beds a week. And wash and iron the bed linen...

Rott Weiler and sparklepig2002 like this.
  17. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

We put on our duvet cover by the 'inside out' method, and hold it over the bannister rail by the top corners to shake the duvet into place. The worse duvet cover buy we ever made was one with way too many buttons at the bottom, which were a real fag to undo, and to do up again for washing, to stop things getting inside it.

We have Egyptian cotton fitted sheets on the bottom, which just fit snugly, so the stretch takes out any creases caused by not ironing them.

I could imagine some Heath Robinson device, like a giant Rizla machine for fitting covers over duvets.

18. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Am I the only one that can't stand the plastic popper fasteners on duvet covers? Sometimes I'll have to press so hard to close them that I'm tempted to use my teeth, yet they still pop open easily and there's no chance any will be still done up a few days (or nights) later. I've never seen them replace buttons or zips for any other fabrics that need fastening, so why duvet covers?

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  19. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I got my son a Dutch duvet cover and it fastens with a zip.

smoothnewt likes this.
  20. smoothnewt

If I ever visit Holland that’s going to be at the top of my shopping list!

bombaysapphire likes this.