1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing the bedding

Discussion in 'Personal' started by smurphy6, Dec 15, 2019.

1. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I find the fitted sheets much harder than the duvet. Very deep heavy mattress I can't lift on my own. Duvet cover piece of cake. I hate drying them though, especially it's too wet to go outside.

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Why do you need to lift the mattress?

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I love fresh bed linen, but I never iron it. Just fold it neatly and that has to do. And I can only face changing the bed once a week, sometimes fortnightly in winter. I often think that when I win the lottery (!) I will sleep in clean, freshly ironed Egyptian cotton sheets every night - and it won't be me that's doing the laundry or changing the bed!

Jamvic and emerald52 like this.
  5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Dear Readers

Just change the sheets when they feel crusty.

Aunty D

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

so do them at the top of the stairs

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Heck @Lalad no its an advert for my new bed! There won't be stuff lying around in my room though. I love things put away.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  8. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Good god, I'd better not reveal how often I change my bed.

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Feel the crustiness. Recall the causes of crustiness. Smirk.

primarycat likes this.
  10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Well, in my case, young Aquamarina, it'll be because of the Marmite soldiers.

I don't know what you're very smirking about!

Aunt D

primarycat likes this.
  11. Aquamarina1234

Oooh dem soldiers.

12. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

If you can afford the extra cash to use this service and it helps you out then just do it.

frangipani123 likes this.
  13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

My mother always sent the sheets to the laundry - pick up and delivery service - Erdington Laundry. Our sheets always had a little label on one edge. She had the groceries delivered too. We used to take the order in, in a book and she'd sit on a bentwood chair and Mr Molder would give us a biscuit out of one of the loose biscuit bins. Yes, I am 107.

frangipani123 and Jamvic like this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Er, my cleaning lady does it. And then my neighbour has been doing all our ironing since my cancer. So I haven't had anything to do with this for years. I'm not even that fussy. I don't get very dirty or sweaty so I think it's wasteful to wash things on the basis of a set number of days.

frangipani123 and Jamvic like this.
  15. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:D

16. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

People actually iron duvet covers?
    The things you discover online, eh!

:confused:

17. Aquamarina1234

Yeh. Me. Right. I iron teatowels too. And I CLUCKING HATE IRONING. But the hate is outweighed by the pleasure of sliding into cool crisply laundered bedding... [sexish noises edited for your convenience].
    You know when you stay in a hotel and they try and guilt-trip you into not getting your bed changed? Nice try.
    Leave my mouldering towels as long as you like but change my sheet. Don't bother with the duvet cover. BUT neither you nor I gets thr choice. It's all or nothing, prob cos bulk laundry is cheaper thann making a human make a judgment call. The climate thanks you.

18. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Me too. Its just a real regular treat. Worth every minute of the wash dry and change and to slip into that fresh, sweet smelling warm bed. Mmmmmmmm... Wonderful.

Yes! Actually its easier, like many other things, to do it yerself!

I have the extra deep fitted sheets involving no lifting of the mattress and which fit perfectly! They sell them at Next and the colours are gorgeous. I've chosen teal and love it.

19. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

I did my quotes wrong for doitforfree - soz

I was just saying I have a knack with duvet covers and sleep naked too as I love being uncluttered. Also I only have one set of bedding so do it all in a day and in winter just put it on the radiator to dry.

Mostly I just love the clean fresh bedding and as for a sheet under the duvet...
    No - surely it just keeps sliding about? How uncomfortable is that?

Does the launderette take the bedding off the bed and put it back on too? All that waiting for delivery but I suppose if you are well off...why not? And have a cleaner too to hoover round AND do the bedding.

There you are - problem solved for the rich - just pay a cleaner minimum wage while you rake it in...'Why clean your own loo'?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I just stuff the duvet inside the cover, but I have been fascinated by the inventive ways that others have devised. A woman I was in a relationship with at one time demonstrated the turning the cover inside out technique to me and I have to admit being impressed by how slickly it was done. I bet it took years of practice to do it that effortlessly though.

I've seen a video of a different method, which involved turning the cover inside out, then laying on the bed, placing the duvet on top, then rolling the pair of them up and unrolling them in such a way that the cover ended up outside out with the duvet inside. It was very inventive, but took far longer than just stuffing the duvet inside.

Whether we find such examples of ingenuity useful or not and emply them ourselves, isn't important in the bigger scheme of things. We take something away from them that might be used in a different context.

Today I encountered the knapp joint for the first time. A knapp joint looks like this upload_2019-12-15_21-59-7.jpeg
    and was popular at one time as an alternative to dovetail joints on cabinet drawers, back in the days when furniture was built to last generations.

In terms of producing this joint, which is said to be just as strong, if not stronger than the dovetail joint, it's a million times simpler to get a perfect fit than it is to make a dovetail joint and I would have found it far more beneficial if my woodwork teacher had shown me how to make it, because I can think of applications I might have considered using it in engineering, had I known about it.

Most fascinating is how this joint was made back in the days when they were making what is now antique furniture. What I mean by this, it that it's simple to do and get perfect results if you have machines in your workshop, but not so before machines became available.

It's sometimes the simplest, frustrating things like replacing a quilt cover, that inspire inspiration and that's how humans came to dominate the animal kingdom.