1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing the bedding

Discussion in 'Personal' started by smurphy6, Dec 15, 2019.

1. smurphy6

smurphy6 Lead commenter

I’ve just finished changing the bedding on three beds. It’s my least favourite household job - it truly is a chore - I don’t know how people with more beds to do organise it. I pick a day and do all three. I’m seriously considering sending the bedding to our local laundrette as they do a collect and return bedding deal. I dislike doing the beds a ridiculous amount.

needabreak and Jamvic like this.
  2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I only have one bed to change, but I do struggle with putting the quilt in the cover (king size) and find no matter how hard I shake it, the feathers remain at the bottom!

3. smurphy6

smurphy6 Lead commenter

I’m short so also struggle with quilt covers. We have a kingsize, double and a single to do. I think I’m just going to wash the pillow cases just before Christmas to freshen up the beds rather than do a full change in a weeks time.

I must be getting old - I’m talking about bedding!

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

well, if you insist on sleeping in three beds, then you have to accept changing three sets of bedding. If other people are sleeping in some of those beds, why aren't they changing their own bedding?

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

It's an effortful chore all round, especially if you iron the duvet covers.

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Agree - it's one of my most hated chores. When we were kids (pre-duvet days), my mum used to top-to-bottom the sheets - put the top sheet on the bottom when she changed the bed, so that there was only one sheet to wash from each bed. But they were all pure white cotton then, so there was masses of ironing!

Jamvic and lindenlea like this.
  7. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Use a top sheet. Change duvet less frequently.

needabreak and frangipani123 like this.
  8. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Indeed it is, but I love the feeling of slipping into a freshly made bed - with the electric blanket on of course!

9. smurphy6

smurphy6 Lead commenter

They can’t do the beds as both have medical issues so I do that job and they do other things around the house that they can manage. We are all in it together and though beset by ongoing chronic health issues we just keep plodding along finding happiness in the small things. I still dislike changing the beds though!

Jamvic likes this.
  10. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I like a freshly made bed in the spring/summer/autumn when they are dried on the line and they smell all fresh. If you have to tumble dry them they never feel as nice.

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

It's one of the jobs my husband does and he gets the laundry done too and irons the duvet cover ( we bought one that shrank when it was tumble dried so he times it to be still a bit damp then hot irons it to make sure it doesn't shrink.) When the new downstairs bedroom has all its furniture we're using new white bedding. The room should look pretty with oak furniture, taupe curtains and carpet with an additional voile blind, and a pretty blind at another side window. Wont be ready until the end of Feb though. New blind and carpet soon after Xmas but bed and bedside tables take about 10 weeks and we only ordered them last week.
    [​IMG]

12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Stand on the bed when you put them back on.
    It's a much better shake out.
    And the bouncing is fun too.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  13. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

1) Stop ironing duvet covers. Fold them and flatten them firmly (show them who is boss) and that'll be fine.
    2) The duvet covers should be turned inside out when washed and then left inside out. This makes it easy to put them back on, even if you are short, and have a king sized bed. Which you don't need if you are that short.
    3) Use fitted sheets, which are much easier to put on.
    4) Can you ask the other people to strip the beds? Even if they can't replace the clean bedding?
    5) And maybe, if you hate the job so much, do it a little less often? How smelly does the bed get in a week? Pull the duvet back each morning for an hour to air. This will help.

caress, smoothnewt, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I don't like doing it either. Once a year is too much for me.

sodalime and Nellyfuf2 like this.
  15. smurphy6

smurphy6 Lead commenter

1) I don’t iron quilt covers - I never said I did!
    2) I do the inside out trick and it saves hours of tussling with a cover.
    3) We all have extra deep fitted sheets (orthopaedic mattresses) and even as a child we used fitted sheets.
    4) They can’t strip the beds due to health issues.
    5) I didn’t say I change them every week! I hate doing them so leave them for more than is probably socially acceptable! None of us are loved up alas so the beds don’t see any action so I think it’s ok to leave them longer than others who might change them more often. However, I just wanted to get them done for Christmas so will wash the pillows next weekend to freshen them up for Christmas.

I would love to stand on my bed but had my hip replaced in 2016. Our house is a walking talking medical textbook - if I told you then you wouldn’t believe me. Even so I have a F/T teaching job but sadly the others are too 1) infirm to work 2) old/infirm to work.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night (in a fresh clean bed!)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Jamvic, Aquamarina1234 and primarycat like this.
  16. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Just to add to the other excellent advice, in winter we have a sheet beneath the duvet, which gets washed weekly. The duvet cover then only needs a fortnightly wash. We sometimes even leave it for three weeks if the weather is too bad for it to dry on the line (tightly pegged on the line, neither sheet nor duvet cover needs ironing).

frangipani123 likes this.
  17. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I do not understand all the fuss that is made about putting on duvet covers. It's the easiest thing in the world. There's no need for turning covers inside out or anything else. Just shove them in, hold the corners and give it a really hard shake. And who would have a sheet with a duvet? You might as well have blankets. I used to have four beds to do and it took next to no time. There are far worse and more difficult jobs. And who irons bedding, and why?! Once it's been folded at the bottom of the pile for a bit it's as flat as it's ever going to be.

I love having clean sheets so I change the bed probably a lot more than is strictly necessary. But none of us wear anything in bed so they maybe need changing more often, except we're not drenched in sweat from being over dressed so maybe not. I can't imagine anyone choosing to wear night clothes!

Ed: I am tiny and was even tinier when we first got duvets when I was ten. My fat lazy sister had a double bed and a double duvet and used to get me to 'help' her put the cover on, which just meant I did it for her, so I got very good at it very quickly!

Jamvic likes this.
  18. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Is that really your bedroom? Where's all your... stuff ?

catmother likes this.
  19. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Madness!

RepelloInimicum and Jamvic like this.
  20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Sorry if this sounds patronising but have you read grumpydogwoman's latest thread? Its a masterclass of joy in simple pleasures and blessing-counting.