1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing state experiments

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Itsme22, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Itsme22

Itsme22 New commenter

Hi I am planning the changing state unit and I am struggling to think of experiments to do for year 5/6. If anyone
    Has any ideas they don't mind sharing, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. Itsme22

Itsme22 New commenter

Hi I am planning the changing state unit and I am struggling to think of experiments to do for year 5/6. If anyone
    Has any ideas they don't mind sharing, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Water is the obvious one with boiling and freezing gas, liquid and solid
    Cornflour is more fun and you can introduce non Newtonian liquids

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Colouring the water first makes it more exciting, no idea why but it does!

Setting up a water cycle in a glass bowl is also fun.

5. pjhewett

pjhewett New commenter

I made ice cream with small (sealed!) bags of milk, sugar and vanilla shaken inside bigger bags of crushed ice.

It tastes really good and is quite magical Also the science behind it is interesting.

6. Fizzy Rockets - use vitamin tablets put one in an old film canister add water, turn upside down and wait for it to explode. Much fun. Uses solid, liquids and gas. Add different amounts of water and measure time til explodes to produce some data.

7. Itsme22

Itsme22 New commenter

Thank you for the ideas. I have just covered the gases around us topic so done a few bits that will link nicely with this topic. It's just making sure that I've got hands on experiments for the children to do. Thanks again.

8. teacherman2

teacherman2 New commenter