1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing Schools

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by nluckett, Jan 20, 2020.

1. nluckett

nluckett New commenter

Hi all,

Me and my husband are trying for a baby. Not pregnant yet and in the early days of trying. I am not enjoying my current job at all. There is a job local to my house that I'd like to apply for but what happens if I get pregnant regarding maternity pay? I'm covered by the burgundy book at my current school. Would I still get maternity pay at the new school if successful and they also follow the burgundy book? The job is for a September start, therefore if all goes to plan on the baby front (which obviously we have no idea how long it could take to conceive) then I would be going on maternity let's say October? I have no idea how it would all work? We don't want to stop trying but the thought of staying in my current school feels me with dread and I'd like to find the school for me.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Burgundy Book only applies to Local Authority maintained schools so AIUI if you move from one LA school to another without any gap in service (even if the schools are in different LAs) your servcie is considered to be continuous for purposes of ML and maternity pay.

If you move to an academy they might voluntarily adopt BB conditions or they might not. If they don't then your previous service may not count for their ML/MP scheme. It's quite hard to find out without asking them unless you know someone there you could ask. It's whether the school you move to uses BB conditions that matters, not the school you are at now.

Don't take my word for this though, check with your union.

3. Hayley2712

Hayley2712 New commenter

What about if you’re moving from an academy (non Burgandy Book) to a LA school?