1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing school straight after mat leave - do I have to pay it back?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by miaoww, Jan 4, 2016.

1. miaoww

miaoww New commenter

I have only just broken up for maternity leave but I already know I don't want to go back to my school as it is just not the right environment for me.
    If I move to another school in the same local authority will I still be expected to re-pay the 50% part of maternity pay? I know this is generally the case if you don't return for the 13 week period but am hoping another school in same LA counts!
    Hope someone with experience of this can help :)

2. lilirenton

lilirenton New commenter

hello miaoww,
    I'm not too sure, but from what I understand it depends on the LEA that you work for.

I hope you get the answer you're looking for!

Enjoy maternity leave + becoming a mum :)

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

It does indeed depend on your particularly LEA's policy on whether they will support a school move to count as the 13 week return period.
    The enhanced maternity pay agreement is technically made on the premise that you return to your actual place of employment and post, and that the post is held open for you while you are on leave.