1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing school during/straight after maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by tweesie, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Having just recieved my maternity pay information and trying to work out the best plan for us as a family when I return to work, I am seriously considering changing school (should a job come up) to work in or near to the town where my husband works to make childcare, parents evenings, commuting (we only have one car, hubby gets the bus, local nurseries dont really allow much time for me to get to my current school in a morning without rushing etc), etc easier.
    Basically I am currently planning on returning to work in February, taking 9 months off (Im due May) and want to return full time. If I was to apply for a job at another school for either a January or Easter start, how would this work in terms of mat pay as I know that if you leave you have to pay back the half pay portion. My current school is an academy, so it wouldnt be a change to a school in the same LEA. Do I have to return to my current school? For a Jan start I would shorten my mat leave for the greater benefits of changing school. Can I give a different notice period rather than half terms?
    Obviously Im basing this on a job coming up, but it would be nice to hear what advice you all could give me.
    Thanks tweesie x

2. Having just recieved my maternity pay information and trying to work out the best plan for us as a family when I return to work, I am seriously considering changing school (should a job come up) to work in or near to the town where my husband works to make childcare, parents evenings, commuting (we only have one car, hubby gets the bus, local nurseries dont really allow much time for me to get to my current school in a morning without rushing etc), etc easier.
    Basically I am currently planning on returning to work in February, taking 9 months off (Im due May) and want to return full time. If I was to apply for a job at another school for either a January or Easter start, how would this work in terms of mat pay as I know that if you leave you have to pay back the half pay portion. My current school is an academy, so it wouldnt be a change to a school in the same LEA. Do I have to return to my current school? For a Jan start I would shorten my mat leave for the greater benefits of changing school. Can I give a different notice period rather than half terms?
    Obviously Im basing this on a job coming up, but it would be nice to hear what advice you all could give me.
    Thanks tweesie x

3. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Presume you have to pay back to the academy... not sure, but if within the same LA, I'd have thought you'd escape having to do this if maintaned to maintaned :(
    When you leave an academy, your years there may not be counted for continuous service (relevant if you decide to have another!) - though some authorities do carry this to maintained schools. When moving from academy to academy, it's up to them what benefits they offer anyway.
    Academies don't seem to offer much for parents-to-be!

4. Thanks cornflake - I had assumed that I would have to pay my half pay entitlement back wherever I worked, but hadn't considered the continuous service issue as I've never worked in an LEA school .Hmmm definitely something to ponder as I dont want to have too great a gap between 1st and 2nd child.
    On the academy front, apart from day to day issues surrounding the need to be more financially aware (ie getting quotes for coaches, VAT reciepts for expenses, just like any other business), I've never known any of the much publicised issues, but then both of the academies I have worked in were outstanding. For maternity issues my school has followed the burgandy book agreement, so I've not known anything different to LEA posters.
    T x